Array
    Status
    pasco,wa
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

81 2.6 sport turbo possible?

I picked up an 81 sport with a 2.6 and was wondering if it was possible to put a turbo on it?

(Motor is out of truck for new rings and upgraded head bolts)

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi jscott, welcome to mightyram50. Yes it is a straightforward deal - find the engine out of a Mitsubishi Conquest and use everything you can salvage from it. They are both 4G54 engines but the heads are different between the early and late build dates (manifold studs are in a different configuration/carbied vs ECI)

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Whoa, better hold the horses for a moment on my last comment. There are other differences between different year builds of the 4G54 as well that may make parts swapping impossible. If you are keen on going down the turbo path use a complete engine out of the Conquest to save you throwing cash at it 2 or 3 times over (maybe the manual trans as well just to ensure you don't run into the 'wide vs narrow' block situation that comes up when dealing with the 4G54). A complete donor wreck will obviously be the best way to perform this swap as you'll get all the ancillary gear that you're going to need to get it running properly. If you really want to get serious, it is possible to get an MPI manifold from an Australian built 4G54 and have it modded for RWD, then go for a programmable ECU to run the whole show. If you McGoogle Conquests you'll find a number of them running this injection set up.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    anything is possible with enough money....(sorry just had to do it)

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    There is, however, another option. We got a specially Australian designed turbo variation of the 4G52 engine in one production model of a RWD 4 door sedan that was genuinely different - the Sigma GH turbo. I have no idea what Mitsubishi Australia was thinking when they designed these things but it was the most powerful 4 cylinder sedan bar none (after this little venture the Australian government said 'ENOUGH' and set limitations for power to weight). It used a suck through turbo with a Stromberg type CD 175 carby that was specially jetted to suit the turbo application - and it worked brilliantly. My Mitsu minded friend has one of these cars and after tinkering with the boost referencing got the turbo to squeeze 20 lbs psi quite happily with the stock factory carb. The engines were popular and there were all sorts of modifications done to them to crank up the HP. The turbos and manifolds come up for sale from time to time as they get shelved for EFI turbos but shouldn't be underestimated just because they can't be intercooled.

And Mike, yes it's pretty. Please stop doing that...

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Man, Mitsubishi Australia was so badass.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Mitsubishi Aust chose not to do a lot of things like import performance cars that were being sold elsewhere. Turbocharging was only coming into popularity in the 80's so they took a car that was already in production and designed a carbied turbo setup inhouse - and the GH turbo was born. Then they did weird stuff like get the EU/US FWD Sigma and cut the biatch down the middle and turn it into a widebody variant - voila! Say hello to the Australian Magna. Our Starions (Conquest) got sohc 4G63 ECI turbos (WHICH WEREN'T WIDEBODY ), Cordias managed a 4G62 ECI turbo in FWD only. We did get VR4 Galant turbos which were, and still are, pretty awesome. After that it's EVO, EVO, EVO...

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ...and here's a video tour of my aforementioned friends' GH Sigma turbo engine bay. Unfortunately the previous owner had done a myriad of really horrible engine and other mods to it that have since been reversed - you can hear an exhaust leak from the 'V' band and some bad valvetrain noise.

I rebuilt the Stromberg CD 175 carb that is installed on this particular engine

Array
    Status
    pasco,wa
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    so is it possible to add turbo to the 2.6l that i have

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by jscott View Post
    so is it possible to add turbo to the 2.6l that i have
    Absolutely. You could even get away with not having the GH intake manifold by modding the stock carb intake with a custom adapter and bolt it down (theoretically). I think the GH turbo ran dished piston and had a specially boost referenced distributor (as it wouldn't be getting vacuum under boost) and its own cam. My friend ran into a problem of not being able to source the factory air box assembly - and even if he did, finding the correct filter element was near impossible. So, I gave him the air box from a dead Cordia turbo, pulled out the air flow meter and it worked very well. It still looked factory but had 2 advantages - bigger internal air volume and finding a replacement element was simple.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Top end Performance sells a Bolton blow through turbo kit for the 2.6 Monteros and trucks. Its definitely not cheap and could be assembled by sourcing the parts yourself, but it gives you the idea of what it takes to do it. The 81 2.6 may have flat top pistons rather than the dished pistons the 79 and 80 2.6 has, but it is not a big issue - 7-8 psi would be all you could run on stock pistons anyways. Once I decide which way I am going on my engine builds, I may selloff some of the parts I won't be using, like the modded magna intake, weber dual side draft manifold and carbs, and the 2.0 turbo exhaust manifold with matching turbo. Nothing is for sale yet, so don't ask. I do have a DCOE weber intake to use on the air inlet side of a turbo that I will not need that I will be posting soon - it was part of a setup I bought for a Toyota turbo conversion I was going to use until the Magna intake dropped into my lap. Look for it in the For sale thread.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I wouldn't go for a blow through set up personally (they have limitations for a very basic turbo)- I think the only part of building something like a suck through turbo similar to the Sigma GH that will need to be specially made would be a side draft carby mount with a V band adapter. There are a number of upward mount turbo manifolds available for the 2.6 (it will need an external waste gate). Getting a pipe made with an adapter from the turbo to a factory carb manifold would be very simple and all that is left is the 'manifold' to mount the suck through carb to the front of the turbo. Run a 3" dump pipe off the back of the turbo, sort out the air/fuel mix, mod the distributor and start dialling boost. This is a link to my album on the CD175 I rebuilt for my friends' GH turbo (pics of the mount are in there)- http://s1089.photobucket.com/user/ge...th%20stromberg