Array
    Status
    Port Angeles, WA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Update:

I had the injection pump rebuilt and it looks great. I was really happy with how it turned out. Its installed now, but I'm still having trouble timing it. I think I may be a tooth off on the injection pump pulley or something.

I also pulled the turbo and am sending it to a recommended shop in California to be rebuilt (thanks Mike Warme). Once I had the turbo pulled I discovered that the impeller isn't spinning as freely as I had recalled. There isn't any play, but its difficult to spin. Which would explain much of my power and smoking problems.

Once those are in I'll start saving for a 4D56 head and new injectors. Hopefully that can wait another 6 months or so, I'd like to put money into the paint next.

Array
    Status
    Port Angeles, WA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Forgot to add the obligatory pictures. Is there a way to edit posts? I've made a few mistakes on previous posts and haven't found an edit option...
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by Clouse View Post
    Forgot to add the obligatory pictures. Is there a way to edit posts? I've made a few mistakes on previous posts and haven't found an edit option...
    There is no edit, i found that out a while back lol (i asked)

How much did the pump rebuild cost? time?
    i found a place in the UK that sells reman pumps for 360 shipped, didnt see anything about a core charge

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by skullzaflare View Post
    There is no edit, i found that out a while back lol (i asked)

i found a place in the UK that sells reman pumps for 360 shipped, didnt see anything about a core charge

There is an edit, you need to be a donator to allow that and selling items to be allowed in this forum. Simple donation unlocks EDIT functions for life and gives you a DONATOR banner under name in the profile column of all your post.

Also, if your searching for parts online for our trucks, car-part.com might be able to help you if you do not require it to be new. This is a huge wrecking yard database that ships to your home if required.

Array
    Status
    Port Angeles, WA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    There is an edit, you need to be a donator to allow that and selling items to be allowed in this forum. Simple donation unlocks EDIT functions for life and gives you a DONATOR banner under name in the profile column of all your post.
    Thanks, good to know, I'll be sure to donate soon, I like this forum and tend to make plenty of errors when posting. I'll be needing that edit function haha

Quote Originally Posted by skullzaflare View Post
    I paid $650 to have mine rebuilt. It was spendy, but I was worried about trying to buy a remanned one online. I also had an 83' pump, and I have no idea if there really is any difference, but I remember reading that the 83' pumps were desirable for some reason.

Array
    Status
    Port Angeles, WA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    I got a call back from the turbo shop in California, I've gotta say, these are some of the best people I've ever dealt with. Amazing customer service, they spent 30 minutes on the phone with me talking about my rebuild options. Turns out my turbo was pretty much junk, the exhaust wheel was all chewed up. Fortunately this shop had a spare TD-05, so they're going to rebuild that, use my intake housing and install a slightly larger compressor wheel. This should raise the stock boost from 12psi to hopefully 16psi. With the boost increase, intercooler, and (slightly) turned up injection pump I'm really hoping to have a noticeable increase at the butt dyno.

I'll make another update when I receive the rebuilt turbo in the mail.

A big thanks to Mike Warme, without his help and recommendations my truck project would have ended a while back. He suggested this turbo shop in Van Nuys, and I couldn't be happier with them. THANKS again Mike!

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    I got a call back from the turbo shop in California, I've gotta say, these are some of the best people I've ever dealt with. Amazing customer service, they spent 30 minutes on the phone with me talking about my rebuild options. Turns out my turbo was pretty much junk, the exhaust wheel was all chewed up. Fortunately this shop had a spare TD-05, so they're going to rebuild that, use my intake housing and install a slightly larger compressor wheel. This should raise the stock boost from 12psi to hopefully 16psi. With the boost increase, intercooler, and (slightly) turned up injection pump I'm really hoping to have a noticeable increase at the butt dyno.

I'll make another update when I receive the rebuilt turbo in the mail.

A big thanks to Mike Warme, without his help and recommendations my truck project would have ended a while back. He suggested this turbo shop in Van Nuys, and I couldn't be happier with them. THANKS again Mike!
    changing the turbo wont change the boost lol

im assuming yours had the no wastegate TC05? otherwise i am curious how they are putting a td05 in a td04 cartridge/hotside lol
    it is a shame they wear out every 50k or so. If you had the TC05 getting it rebuilt is a waste, i would trash the turbo, reuse the hotside with a td05 turbo, a starion 12a is bigger than the stock TC05 11b if i remember right

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    lol i just seen your turbo pic, yea thats a tc05, wish i could find one, could take my td04 off lol

Array
    Status
    Port Angeles, WA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    I will freely admit that I'm pretty new to the turbo world. I've only ever owned N/A cars, so I've never had one apart or spent a lot of time around them. From my understanding the shop is using the hot side from the donor TD-05, and using the cold side from my TC-05. I'll have to add water lines which will be interesting. He's machining the cold side to fit a slightly larger compressor wheel. He told me over the phone that I might see around 4 psi of increased boost. I assumed with the fuel turned up and a larger exhaust I would see an increase in boost. Why would this not be the case?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Modifying the turbo won't increase boost - but it will increase the amount of boost the turbo can support. And this kind of mod whether it be on a diesel or gas engine will require extra fuel with the increase of boost to prevent lean out. Are you going for an in cabin boost adjustable control or resetting the boost and leaving it?

Array
    Status
    Port Angeles, WA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Modifying the turbo won't increase boost - but it will increase the amount of boost the turbo can support. And this kind of mod whether it be on a diesel or gas engine will require extra fuel with the increase of boost to prevent lean out. Are you going for an in cabin boost adjustable control or resetting the boost and leaving it?
    I'd like to have in cabin boost control but that will all depend on what wastegate bits I get with the turbo. The shop in Van Nuys is setting up the turbo with no wastegate, but they said they'd send me all the parts to reinstall it. Apparently I'll need to make an adapter for the manifold in order to use it. I'll see what shows up in the mail and whether or not I'll be able to install the wastegate or will have to run without.

I was actually in the process of installing a homebrew in cabin fuel controller. I purchased a servo and servo controller along with a couple gears. I was going to attach the servo to the injection pump and gear it to the fuel screw. That way I could adjust fuel from in the cabin. However, having just had the pump rebuilt, I plan to hold off on this for awhile.

This diesel stuff is a learning experience for me, but I'm taking it slow and steady. I've installed a new aluminum radiator, electric fan, intercooler, working on a new exhaust, and I'll be installing an EGT gauge this weekend. Hopefully with all those modifications I can try and turn the power up while keeping it cool and happy. I'm really hoping for a reliable daily driver that I can take up to the mountain trails, and hopefully have enough power to pass a car on occasion, haha.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    I will freely admit that I'm pretty new to the turbo world. I've only ever owned N/A cars, so I've never had one apart or spent a lot of time around them. From my understanding the shop is using the hot side from the donor TD-05, and using the cold side from my TC-05. I'll have to add water lines which will be interesting. He's machining the cold side to fit a slightly larger compressor wheel. He told me over the phone that I might see around 4 psi of increased boost. I assumed with the fuel turned up and a larger exhaust I would see an increase in boost. Why would this not be the case?
    you will have to reuse the TC05 hotside, there are only 3 turbos with the same pattern, all for the d55/d56 a td04, tc05, and a TF035.
    TC05 is non wastegated, td04 and tf035 are internally gated.
    TC05 hotside will fit a td05, you do NOT wanna reuse the tc05 center cartridge, was a horrible single bearing design. There is no real good reason to reuse the coldside, it has 2 boost nipples, but they can be pulled from another source.

turn the smoke screw, boost will go up lol

Array
    Status
    Nunn, Colorado
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Did you ever solve your problem? My truck is doing the exact same thing. I think I will try disconnecting the turbo from the intake to see if the smoking goes away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12