Thread: 1990 Max 4X4 Build

Array
    Status
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G72
    ChargerX3! I hunted this build down for about an hour before I found it. Lol. I have a ‘92 6G72 that has 238K. I’m really looking in to this Mivec swap. Besides the flashable 3000GT ECU (and other odds and ends) what was you biggest set back? Or you biggest hurdle? I would love to read a full write up of this project and what needs to be done. Love it! Thanks man!!! You’re an inspiration.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Your truck is bad enough but the fact that you have access to Nevada PicknPull + snow covered mountains REALLY makes me JEALOUS

What a joy to see your fun

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by Rwmccarty42 View Post
    ChargerX3! I hunted this build down for about an hour before I found it. Lol. I have a ‘92 6G72 that has 238K. I’m really looking in to this Mivec swap. Besides the flashable 3000GT ECU (and other odds and ends) what was you biggest set back? Or you biggest hurdle? I would love to read a full write up of this project and what needs to be done. Love it! Thanks man!!! You’re an inspiration.
    Yea, I really need to sit down and go through it all. Your conversion would be slightly easier than mine. 90 trucks had the trashcan MAF. 91+ were the much smaller and improved MAF's, so no need to rewire yours.

The most difficult things were probably: 1) Electrical work. You have to make an adapter harness that connects the 3000gt ecu to the plugs on the Mighty Max. I had to figure all those leads out. Actually still figuring out the AC side, but im close. Also need to wire your MIVEC controls. 2)Finding all the hard parts. I literally have parts off of 3000gt's, various Monteros, Kia's, 4G Eclipse. Its a lot of hunting for some of the parts, but thats the fun in it. 3) You need to weld a little. The Eclipse block lacks proper bosses to reuse the Max motor mounts. You need to weld on one extension, so you at least have 3 bolts on each mount. 4) Tuning it. Im still not done tuning it, but thats because I still have not mounted the intake that I want (that will require some welding). If you dont know how to tune a 3S ecu then you will want to start learning.

Other than that you will surprise yourself by how interchangeable most of the 6G7* platform is. You will strip off a lot of 4G parts just to install Montero ones. It almost feels like blaspheme.

Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    Your truck is bad enough but the fact that you have access to Nevada PicknPull + snow covered mountains REALLY makes me JEALOUS

What a joy to see your fun
    Thanks. We have two Pick and Pulls here. Then I have several just over the mountains in CA. The snow is a joy, but i also want to take it easy with my big investment.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Took Mad Max out for a little ride this last weekend. Weather finally got better and things dried out. I wanted to see how the new LSD would work after draining the initial oil fill with some proper, expensive(ester based) gear oil with friction modifiers for the LSD. Well, it works amazing.

Lets just say its a bit more of a challenge to get the MIVEC to break the rear end loose now on the 31's.

Anyways hit up some some smaller but steep mountains just to see how much better she performed.

Picture is deceiving, already on an incline, but there are some good washouts on this face as its steep. Just put her in 4 low and cruised up to the top with virtually no slip. I was impressed. My jeep would have spun.

The Top

View from top

Anyways really enjoying this truck. Plenty of power for the street, off-road, and just comfortable to drive around. I think im hooked.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If I didn't know you were in the US I would think you're in a charming place called Whyalla (towards the north of South Oz) The terrain is identical, right down to the salt bush. You got some great pics - nice work
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Thanks...salt bush? You mean Sagebrush?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Similar stuff. Different geography, different name lol
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Hmm i googled it. Similar, but not the same.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Went on another climb this weekend. Found a new trail up north and decided to give it a go. What started out as a couple hill climbs turned into an old mine road up to the top of a mountain.

Half way up the trail.

2/3 way up. Got steep from here.

I hate how its hard to gauge an incline in pictures, but this is 3/4 way up. Lots of loose gravel, big rocks, washouts and tight switchbacks.

The top. There were several filled in mining holes up here. Appears to be an old Copper/gold mining attempt. Grabbed a couple cool rocks and headed back down.

Ok with that one in the bag i got brave and wanted to try a run back at the last old mountain that I chickened out on. The road you see on the left is the one I have been taking up. Its a newer path and is plenty steep. The trail to the right is the old path, full of washouts, spinnouts, and loads of loose articulation. I cant say ive ever seen anyone make it up that trail since ive been coming here.

Better look down the gnarly trail. The top looks normal, but if you can zoom in the middle and lower section are a mess. Also this looks flat, but its so steep i nearly fell on my ass walking down.

Better picture showing how steep it is on the less steep top end. Me pointing camera straight in front of me.

So, i decide to give it a try. Put the truck in 4wd low, backed up 2 feet to engage the front diff. and took off slow in 1st gear. Bottom section was bumpy and full of ruts, so i just took my time. Then as i started the incline I just picked a steady RPM and plotted out my course up the face. The trail shifts to the left with several deep vertical washouts that clearly got other trucks sideways and stalled. There were also two large boulders in the path that were permanent fixtures in the landscape. Not knowing if I would clear, i straddled one. Several times I felt the rear end lose traction briefly, LDS kick in, then momentum continue. Towards the very top there was the largest washout with nothing but loose rocks. I kept my pace, hit it, both rear tires broke loose, felt my momentum slow, but then the fronts caught just before i started to slow to a stop. Gave the truck just a little more throttle and up we went. One of my favorite climbs with this truck yet!

Not a bad view either

Array
    Status
    Newburgh, NY
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    This sounds like fun. Would love to see some photos/videos of the truck doing these climbs, or maybe a dash cam view?

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Yea I’ve been thinking about that. Videos are more enjoyable for the spectator.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123