Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Overdrive Solenoid

I noticed the other week that my automatic tranny wasn't shifting into overdrive. I took it in to the transmission shop and they say I need a new solenoid. The part number they gave me was MB919150. This thing bolts to the tranny case on the outside. Does anybody here have any idea where to get this part? The transmission shop can't find it. I've tried ordering a couple of solenoids using the description "overdrive solenoid" but have gotten the wrong parts. I get solenoids for the A500 tranny which is apparently a Chrysler make. The mechanic at the transmission shop says my tranny is a Japanese make and the solenoids aren't the same. Any help will be appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    your tranny is an Aisin-warner automatic - the same tranny was used in the Nissan 300zx - you may have better luck there. Are they sure the solenoid is bad - there is a sensor by the carb that allows the solenoid to engage once the motor hits operating temperature.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    They told me they put an ohm meter on it and determined it was bad. I will ask them if they checked the temp sensor. Thanks

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    np - I always apply 12 VDC to solenoids to make sure they are dead. Hope they can find the solenoid you need if it is indeed bad.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    They checked the temp sensor and replaced the relay with the new one I supplied them and they're positive it's that solenoid. They can't find one either. So now this becomes a quest.
    My tranny has 400,000 km on it and I can probably get one with half that for the same price as a solenoid. I found this website, https://partsouq.com/en/search/search?q=MB919150. That price is US dollars and the part comes from the middle east, the U.A.E. I believe. I called a wreckers in New York state and they have a tranny with 150,000 miles on it for $300.
    I've looked at quite a few sites that list transmissions by make, model and year of vehicle and the D-50 listings don't include anything before 1990. Would I be correct in assuming that the tranny is an AW-372 or an AW-372L? It uses the cable attached to the carb to control the shifting. I ordered a control solenoid kit for an AW-372 from Rock Auto and got a kit with 4 small solenoids that bolt on inside the tranny. Not the right part.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    that kit sounds like it was for the computer controlled tranny in the later trucks or the Montero sport. Monteros also ran this same tranny - might be another place to look
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    That's what the tranny shop said. They figured 1989 or 1990 would have been when they started using the electronic shift. I found the Transmission type on the metal label on the fire wall, it is an AW372 I found this :

07c95cdc8557b34ce3255f5ac3cb2147.jpg

The part in question would be 26172 in this diagram.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    can they make the solenoid engaged so the O/D works all the time until you find one? Maybe put a spacer in between the plunger and the stop in the solenoid? It wouldn't hurt the tranny, it just means the tranny will use o/d when it gets to the right speed regardless of engine temp; same as hooking the temp sensor wire to ground instead of the sensor. ran my Dad's 88 ram 50 that way for years with no issues.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. It would definitely be a less expensive solution. I will ask the fellow who will be working on it.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    So I asked the tranny shop mechanic about rigging up that solenoid so the overdrive would be on all the time and he didn't like the idea. He sent the solenoid to an auto electric repair shop and they were able to repair it. $80 CDN versus $450 CDN for a new one from Japan.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    That's good news Andy. $450 for a new one from Japan? Is there a transmission hanging off it for that price?

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy 2
    So I asked the tranny shop mechanic about rigging up that solenoid so the overdrive would be on all the time and he didn't like the idea.He sent the solenoid to an auto electric repair shop and they were able to repair it. $80 CDN versus $450 CDN for a new one from Japan.
    Thx for the topic Andy 2...
    I am still learning the Mitsu platforms, So I called a couple of Trans Guru folks I know & got educated on the A500/AW372/A44D/KM148 variants...
    For the sake of 'brevity' ---short story is-- " Mitsubishi cut corners on the ecm builds, but had a few spare bucks to put into
    more robust powertrain solenoid windings, the electrical seldom fails the pintle just gets gummed up. We put them into a sonic cleaner fixture
    cycle until clean & flow verified".
    P.s--- I asked about My cost (with the good 'ol boy discount) for the rebuild --- $ 148 ---
    So...
    Sorry & Apologies for the hijack Sir, seems to me Your trans shop knows what they are doing !!!

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The actual part price was $350 CDN and the rest was shipping and handling. The price for a new tranny, which is probably a reman, is $3100 USD not including shipping. The salvage yards I contacted won't just sell the solenoid either. I found a tranny in Thunder Bay for $200 CDN that would probably cost another $150 to ship. Either way replacing the thing would have been a costly venture in Canada. There are a lot more trannys in the US. Car-part .com has 3 full pages of listings there. Up here there are only 4 trannys listed. I think the A500 you listed claych is a Chrysler tranny. When I received the first solenoid I ordered from Carquest they sent me a solenoid for an A500. I didn't think these trucks had 2 different trannys in the same model year.
    Yessir, Pioneer Transmission is #1 in my book. They've been around a very long time and their bays are always full.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Andy 2---
    "I think the A500 you listed claych is a Chrysler tranny. When I received the first solenoid I ordered from Carquest they sent me a solenoid for an A500. I didn't think these trucks had 2 different trannys in the same model year."
    Correct ...mmm... or so (build date thing).
    I weaseled more info (for a couple cases of beer) out of My buds...
    90-94,A500, D50, 2.4 RWD only.
    87-89,AW372,A44D, D50/RAIDER/MM, 2.0 2.6 3.0 RWD only.
    87-89 , Km148, D50/RAIDER/MM, 2.0 2.6 3.0, 4x4 only
    Honored Posters, PLEASE chime in on this info if in error & correct as needed !!!
    Thx !!
    P.s,
    Andy 2,
    The 'baby 904' aka 40RH,42RE,42RE,44RE,
    Variants have had 4 (four) O/D..LOCKUP solenoid updates...(not rebuildable)
    At least the Mitsu KM148,AW372, & A44D 'said solenoid' can be serviced.
    Apologies Honored Posters, rant off.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I found this handy little tool, http://www.atraonline.com/VCD2.asp. Just enter the make, model and year and it will tell you all the transmissions used in the vehicle along with some details. One thing I noticed is that the Ram 50 didn't have electronic control on the automatic transmissions whereas the MM did. I know my '88 Ram 50 does not have electronic control. Can anyone verify that the MM does?