Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

Ignition Lock

Anyone ever had their key switch lock up? I went out to go get lunch in Wallace and the ignition cylinder has locked up. I wiggled and tapped and tried all the old tricks in the book but with no success. I have a couple of spare keys... that is my next plan. If the steering wheel wasn't locked I'd pull start it to get it home at least.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    My key can come out while it is running, very convenient when I have to run back into house because I forgot something and not have to turn motor off. Having a heavy key ring will eventually cause an issue, be it locked cylinder or key can be removed after starting. WD40 may help but it sounds like you broke a tumbler, if all else fails a strong screwdriver might work. They sell the sets on ebay or rockauto, just like everything else.

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Well my bride brought me one of the spares and it took a little wiggling but it finally moved. Felt like something was definitely locked there though. I've just been using the original key and I wonder if it finally has enough wear on it that it isn't doing its job properly anymore.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I was wondering what you'd be able to do if a tumbler in it had failed other than using brute force.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    use a hacksaw blade - cut a slot in the 2 headless bolts that hold the lock assembly to the column, then spin them out and remove the lock from the column. unscrew the ignition switch from the cylinder and use straight screw driver blade to turn to start and run.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980