Array
    Status
    Alabama
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Dodge V8

Bed cover...

What is the best bed cover or lightest one to use on 1980 D50? I had the snap on one and it ripped. Can you still get one of these?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    no one other than Checkmate makes a hard tonneau for the 1st gen trucks - and that is made to order, if they are still in business. My Gaylord's cover is the biggest POS - so weak the lift props bow it in the summer sun.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Mine was custom made. Essentially it was for a different small truck like a ford ranger and then the aluminum frame was cut to fit and then the tonneau cover was cut and sewn to the proper size. So it could be considered a shop and home economics project.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Go to fabric store, get fabric and bring your cover in and have the sweet little old ladies that work there make one for you. Probably around $100 if that.

Array
    Status
    Huachuca City Arizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    I’ve been looking at covers for my second generation Ram for about a year now……offerings are slim to non-existent. The problem I have is that I use my trucks as trucks, need access to the bed and often haul stuff taller than the bed sides. I also usually carry the spare and a tool box in the bed so a cover is nice for security. The hard covers are heavy, tonneau covers while much lighter but don’t provide that much security. In either case both are a PIA for one person to remove and install. Yes I have gone to a store or swap meet and had to turn around and go home to take the cover off and go back and pick up what I bought if it was taller than the bed.

I got a Craftec tonneau cover for my El Camino (hinged aluminum frame vinyl covering). I’ve had mine for about 5 years now, but usually only install it about once a year when I make a cross country trip. Craftec is a pretty good company and their customer service/warranty service is great. If I wanted that style of cover for my 87 Ram I start there would probably by calling there with my dimensions and see if they made something that would fit.

I built my own hard cover for the wifes’ El Camino. A friend had given me a couple of 4 x 8 Aluwell panels (basically 2 very thin sheets of aluminum with a corrugated plastic sandwiched between them http://www.aluwell-acp.com/1-aluminu...tic-sheet.html ) . Sorry I have no idea where it can be purchased or the cost, but you should be able to Google it. Although I really didn’t need to, for that one I built a frame under it out of thin wall tubing, and hinged it in about the center of the bed (the front half is stationary). Added a lock and a couple of struts to hold it up and called it done. Something like that might be an option if your into building your own……and as a friend of mine suggested you could always cover it with padded vinyl if you wanted that type of look.

I’m actually looking into roll up/fold up covers for the Ram 50. These are a very pricey option however. I had a Pace Edwards on a (full size) shortbed step side a few years back. They didn’t have one listed for the truck, but their tech department worked with me in mixing/matching side rails and covers to come up with one that fits. It was a nice cover, but the box the cover rolls into takes a fair amount of room in the front of the bed.

Currently what looks most promising for what I want to do is the Peragon fold up covers…..naturally they don’t list one for our trucks. Hopefully their tech department will work with me and well be able to come up with something that is close enough to work even if takes a bit of modification.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    An s10 bed cover should work on a 2nd gen bed of the same size. Some ranger covers may also work.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    If memory serves me correctly, the S10 covers fit the second gen. but the S10 dinension is about 1 inch longer that the Ram50 short bed. Not sure about the long bed models. Many camper truck dealers interchanged the two back in the day.

Array
    Status
    Tampa
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G61
    Think i've seen soft covers from Tonno Pro. better check that out if it fits 1980 D50

Array
    Status
    Huachuca City Arizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    Thought I'd update on what I found out yesterday in case it can help someone else.

I spent some time talking to Peragon's tech department yesterday. As far as bed dimensions, the 87 Ram 50 with the 6 foot bed is virtually identical to the 1993-2012 Ford Ranger.......same length, and the Ram 50 being 1/16" narrower.

On a side note I ordered one of their covers it will take about a month to get it. It looks like it will take some modification to make this one work (possible bracket interference with the inner fender wells).......but what fun would it be if it just bolted in

Array
    Status
    Tampa
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G61
    update us with some pics of what you bought. would like to see how it will fit on your ride