Array
    Status
    Belize
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

1986 Dodge Ram 50 2.0l no start

I need your help here guys. Couple weeks ago I bought a 1986 Dodge Ram 50 2.0L w/ 90k miles as a project truck. It started and drove fine but i never drove for extended periods of time. Finally finished up the interior and wanted to begin to actually drive it. Took it out for a drive and it ran fine then just randomly shut down. After filling it with gas as I thought was the problem it would not start. After about 30 mins it started up idle fine and then shut down again and would not start. Next day again started and ran fine and after like 2 mins shut down. Below I will list all that i have replaced and all tests conducted with the help of threads on this board. Insight will be greatly appreciated.

Replaced...
    Ignition coil
    Wires
    Plugs were recently changed by previous owner
    Disty cap
    Rotor

Tests...
    Carb gets gas
    Coil + & both sides of resistor gets 12v on Acc and start
    Coil resistance within spec
    Resistor resistance within spec
    Pickup coil resistance within spec
    No spark at plug wires
    No spark out of coil
    Coil when manually grounded has spark output

Ok guys my theory is that the - side of the coil is not being grounded by the distributor so it does not generate spark. Now being that the pickup coil resistance is within spec does that mean its good or is there still a chance it is not? Also is there a way to test the igniter that's in the distributor? Is this done by checking resistance too? I did not see any mention of testing this type of igniter in both the manuals i have been using. Thanks guys and if my theory is wrong let me know or nay other ideas. It pains me to not be able to drive it.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I'm putting money on the distributor having a bad module. Seeming it has been running but now you have no spark this is where I'd be looking. You can get new ones on ebay or there's always the option of spending a leisurely day strollin' thru the junkyard. - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Raider...3D351220681123

Array
    Status
    Belize
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    I'm putting money on the distributor having a bad module. Seeming it has been running but now you have no spark this is where I'd be looking. You can get new ones on ebay or there's always the option of spending a leisurely day strollin' thru the junkyard. - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Raider...3D351220681123
    My one is the other type with the two wires that come out and connect to the coil and resistor. I was able to find one locally surprisingly. So I will change that tomorrow and hope all works. I just tried it again and it started fine and ran fine but shut down again. So I'm really hoping it's the ICM.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    is the new coil getting hot?...i mean to the point where you can't keep your hand on it.

Array
    Status
    Belize
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by ragragtimetime View Post
    is the new coil getting hot?...i mean to the point where you can't keep your hand on it.
    No at no time do I recall the coil getting hot. But I could double check. Do you mean when it has started and it stops?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Yep bad module in the distributor. They just go out. Mine would just be dead. Or some times it would give me a warning but getting hot then cooling off and restarting just enough to get it home.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Belize
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    OK I did further testing this morning on the ICM. Tested it both ways as specified in the two repair manuals. First the continuity test between terminal C and the metal body of the ICM yeilded no results. Then I tested it using the battery and test light method and the test light did not light up. I get the new one this morning so I hope it's just that. I hate not being able to drive this truck. I've had a lot of trucks and this is one of my absolute favorites.

Array
    Status
    Belize
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Replaced the ICM and left t to idle and it was fine so I hope that solves that. Havee been able to drive it yet.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    After my first one went out I started caring a used spare, just in case.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com