Thread: Removing In-dash Receiver: Am I dim?

Array
    Status
    Portland OR
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

Removing In-dash Receiver: Am I dim?

Hey guys, sure this will be an easy one: how do I remove the in dash receiver?

I have pried it in every which way--jamming knives in each side at the suggestion of some crazy Russian on youtube--before deciding I should ask y'all before i cause any problems. I would prefer to not remove the entire dash, but if that's what has to happen I'll pop er off. Thanks in advance!

IMG_1232.jpgIMG_1233.jpg

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi D-nifty. Most of these single DIN head units are held into their mounting cages by a sort of spring loaded arm that is nothing more than a metal tab either side of the head unit. Head unit manufacturers supply these 2 long metal 'keys' that you slide in between either side of the head unit and the mounting cage to force these arms out of the way, but even then it can be a PITA to remove the head unit as there's nothing to grab hold of to slide the head unit free. If you're going to get it out don't use anything too thick as a substitute for these removal keys at it will only jam the head unit in there. It isn't that bigger deal to pull the dash bezel out and try to free the head unit (might only need to pull the bezel forward enough to see what is going on and push the head unit through, but... installing an aftermarket head unit in a MM/D-50 usually means butchering the metal framework inside the dash so only the guy upstairs and whoever installed it knows what you're going to find. It might only be anchored to the front bezel or it could've been hammered in there. Good luck!

Array
    Status
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Ford V8
    Pop the heater nobs off, undo the fan switch, remove the 2 screws facing up from the ashtray, undo the 2 screws above the gauges and pull the bezel with the head unit still in. After that you can unbend the lock tabs on the cage and pull the whole thing out. Some decks have a plug on the back that can be removed so you don't have to fight with the wiring.