Array
    Status
    Newton Grove, NC
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Exclamation 2.4 efi engine surging

Hello everyone, Let me start off i'm new to the site and diggin it cool to see a forums for our truck's. I own a 93 MMM with 2.4 efi starts up fine idles good but when start to take off the engine will hesitate and surge from 800-2000RPM. I have to stomp the gas pedal to the floor repeatedly then it levels out and runs ok. It does this at stoplights and while driving very embarrassing at intersections.Have changed distributor cap,rotor,wires,plugs,fuel filter,air filter, and battery.

I'm at wits with this thing cant figure out the issue.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Sounds like a vacuum leak - check the intake, throttle body, and vacuum lines by spraying with carb cleaner or use an unlit propane torch to see if the motor speed changes. If this is all good - it could be that the computer needs recapped.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    also make sure the throttle cable isnt too tight or hanging up on anything, my friend was having this problem and his cable was a little too tight.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    This could actually be a Water Temp Sensor that feeds the ECU, it's different than the one for the gauge. causes the same problem, the ECU thinks the motor is up to temp.

Array
    Status
    Newton Grove, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by LSR Mike View Post
    This could actually be a Water Temp Sensor that feeds the ECU, it's different than the one for the gauge. causes the same problem, the ECU thinks the motor is up to temp.
    That sounds about right does it on initial startup cold, and sometimes in town. Where is that temp sensor located?

Array
    Status
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Coolant Temperature Sensor is located here:

Directly on top of the coolant neck housing, with a 2 pin connector that is shaped like a "T". It's about a $15 part, so worst comes to worst if it doesn't work, you did some cheap preventive maintenance. If that doesn't solve your problem though, next thing I would look in to is your Throttle Position Sensor.
    - Jason
    1995 Mighty Max || FQuick | My Build Thread

Array
    Status
    Newton Grove, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thankyou everyone very much for all your helpful advise, this issue has been a pain in my ass since i bought the truck back in summer of 07. I ordered the ecm temp sensor today from autozone should be in tomarrow. Hey blindeyed was searching on youtube about this issue and came across your video's I see you're on LS1TECH.com added you as a friend i'm LT1_T56.

Array
    Status
    Newton Grove, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    ok finnaly got time to get back with yall on my issue, replaced the sensor and the problem is still there if not worse now takes 1-2 seconds longer for the truck to start now. This only happens in open loop once closed problem goes away. Does the ecm read off the temp sensor as well as the oxygen sensor in open loop? maybe the o2 sensor isn't sending info that it heated up.

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    I had the same issue,my truck would lose power every time i went into 2nd gear or 1st if i gave it more than a 1/4 throttle. My problem was a bad tps sensor