Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T

4D56 Power Output

What is the power output of a 4d56 motor? I have a 4d55 right now, but I'm considering a head swap, I just want to know if there is enough of a power difference to bother with it.

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Like I mentioned in the other thread - I have a 4d56 head on my 4d55. I doubt you will see any increase in power from a simple head swap.
    4d56 has different power specs due to the change in stroke, as well as the intercooler.

As for the power... well this page is kind of lame, because they keep jumping around between different units (kW HP and PS) (although PS and HP are almost the same) as well as I think different measuring standards (DIN JIS SAE) so it is hard to really compare, but it's what we got: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsub...on_engine#4D56

Basically, I think that page will tell you that a 4d55 had about 84hp, and a (non intercooled) 4d56 had about 90 hp. Then the next generation that added an intercooler brought it up to 104hp.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    depends what year the d56 is, i have seen ratings of 86hp-168hp
    the only variations i have seen is size of turbo and variable geometry turbo, not sure exactly what changed in the years

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Ive read the Wikipedia page, i just want a more reliable source than that. And I know you said that you had a 4d56 head on yours, I'm just looking to see if anyone who had 4d55, knows how it performs in these trucks, and then put a 56 head on it can tell me if it made much of a difference. I know that an inter cooler would be a significant part of getting more power, right now its just another thing on a list of parts I need to get for my little motor.

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by skullzaflare View Post
    depends what year the d56 is, i have seen ratings of 86hp-168hp
    the only variations i have seen is size of turbo and variable geometry turbo, not sure exactly what changed in the years
    I think the ones that are making on towards 168 hp are the ones made with common rail injection, with these old IDI heads that much power would probably just about blow the heads.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    There was an endurance racer in Finland who ran a 4D55 in a Sigma who claimed it made 300+ HP before the stock rods failed. The head, apparently, is fine.

Google 4D55 Performance's threads about Team Tonni.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by dancinggecko View Post
    I think the ones that are making on towards 168 hp are the ones made with common rail injection, with these old IDI heads that much power would probably just about blow the heads.
    well hell lol, i been sitting here thinking my d56 was DI lol

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by dancinggecko View Post
    Ive read the Wikipedia page, i just want a more reliable source than that. And I know you said that you had a 4d56 head on yours, I'm just looking to see if anyone who had 4d55, knows how it performs in these trucks, and then put a 56 head on it can tell me if it made much of a difference. I know that an inter cooler would be a significant part of getting more power, right now its just another thing on a list of parts I need to get for my little motor.
    And I am exactly the person you describe. But hey, keep asking the question again, and with luck my answer will change. /sarc

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    What is the redline on the d55? my d56 is 4200, which limits me in a lot of ways since mines a swap. i was following a build on a d55 for a while but he blew it up and gave up. Curious on the d55 bottom.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Don't know if this is any help but it might offer some tips on how to set it up - http://www.idahoturbodiesels.com/vb/...ad.php?p=63820

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Fair enough, but I thought that your 55 head had some funky precombustion chambers though.

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    True, it wasn't in the best shape, but it wasn't too bad.... just some chipped edges on the outlets. I guess where I'm coming from is that I (like you) was hoping if I changed it I could see some gains, and I had enough money to buy one, and in the end was underwhelmed. So I'm trying to deliver the lesson to you - it's not a bad idea, go ahead an buy one if you have the funds, but keep in mind it's not the most bang for buck.

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Ok, thanks, sorry for the misunderstanding. We have yet to take the head off to see what kind of shape its in, but it's been sitting for 30+ years. We know it runs but just don't know how well.