Array
    Status
    Ogden, UT
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T

New here, new possible purchase

I'm looking at picking up an 86, power ram d50 4x4 for dirt cheap. My concern is, when I put it into any gear it won't move except 4th. All other gears are like gone, or not engaging. Wit it going into 4the and engaging, it shouldn't be the clutch, nonreverse, 1,2,3,5 or Reverse. Am I looking at a rebuild? Are parts available and of so, where from? Anyone have this issue before? Thanks everyone

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi TinyPower. What other issues or anomalies are you getting out of the gearbox? Does the shift lever feel sloppy, gear crunch etc? It would be unlikely the gearbox has nearly every gear blown in it (note I did say unlikely - I've worked on a Mitsu 5 speed that had lunched 5th gear...) Shifter could be worn out or has all the mounting bolts loose/stripped. The nylon cap that resides on the end of the shift lever is renowned for splitting after years of doing it's funky thing. I have heard of gearbox woes with high mileage 4x4 gearboxes.

Array
    Status
    Ogden, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Hi TinyPower. What other issues or anomalies are you getting out of the gearbox? Does the shift lever feel sloppy, gear crunch etc? It would be unlikely the gearbox has nearly every gear blown in it (note I did say unlikely - I've worked on a Mitsu 5 speed that had lunched 5th gear...) Shifter could be worn out or has all the mounting bolts loose/stripped. The nylon cap that resides on the end of the shift lever is renowned for splitting after years of doing it's funky thing. I have heard of gearbox woes with high mileage 4x4 gearboxes.
    Hi and thanks for the fast response! As far as slop, it doesn't feel sloppy at all! That's what I don't understand, I've rebuilt samurai manual transmission before, 45 min job, but idk any info on this one. When going in and out of all gears, you can almost feel it go in, and the shifter goes where it should, like it should, without the clutch engaged it's the same. But 4th gear works just fine. I can run back over to the truck and do some more investigating if needed! They wanted 700.00 I got em down to 400.00 minus the battery. No biggie. But no, no gear crunch, no slop, 1,2,3,4,5 and R all shift like normal (as feeling goes) just like no gears though. Owner said something about having to pull the trans off till it "pops" and it'll be good... don't know where he got that info.

Array
    Status
    Ogden, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    I would suspect that the shift arms or dogs that throw the gears forward or backwards are broke, but if that was the case why would 4th work and not 3rd being on the same shaft and inline. I like the truck, but money at the moment is really tight and I don't wanna have to try to locate a trans if that's the usual case.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    4th gear is straight through on the KM 145 tranny - it is possible that the bearings supporting the 1,2,3,5, and reverse have failed and or the secondary shaft has sheared off, disconnecting the gears from the main shaft. I lost a tranny one time due to oil loss out the tailshaft from a half assed repair for the tailshaft seal - lost lower shaft bearings and all gears but 4th.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Ogden, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    4th gear is straight through on the KM 145 tranny - it is possible that the bearings supporting the 1,2,3,5, and reverse have failed and or the secondary shaft has sheared off, disconnecting the gears from the main shaft. I lost a tranny one time due to oil loss out the tailshaft from a half assed repair for the tailshaft seal - lost lower shaft bearings and all gears but 4th.
    Is it a cheap fix? Are parts available? And if so, where and how much? Are these transmissions easy to rebuild? I've done manuals before with ease. Shouldn't be any different should it?

Array
    Status
    Ogden, UT
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Also, if the secondary shaft has sheared off, how would one go about fixing it? Find a donor trans? It's just wierd that every gear feel like it goes in and engages, but there's nothing there... no noise, no grind, nothing....