Status
    MA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Cylinder Head resources

Hi guys/gals

I have an 89 Ram 50 with a cracked cylinder head (between the valves on cylinders 2 and 3) from a tossed freeze plug and subsequent overheat.

I completely disassembled the engine and found it to be in great shape for the mileage 160,000.

The cylinders honed out with minimal honing (stock pistons and rings can be used). The crank, rods, pistons, balance shafts, cam, oil pump, etc all looked great. The valves and rockers are good.

This is my daily driver and "economy" vehicle. I'm not looking to sink much money into it, as the frame will probably only get me another 2 years. Right now, I'm looking at new rings, new bearings, and new gaskets/seals to redo the bottom end.

The problem is the head, from checking online it looks like $300+ core charge for bare castings or $500+ core for completes. With my head being cracked, it can't be used as a core. Is there a place that sells used uncracked heads? Also can I swap my cam and valve train from my head (jet valve with blanks inserted) to a non jet valved head?

My landlord is an engine machinist (mainly circle track motors) and is willing to help transfer my valves, clean the seats, valve guides, etc if we can find a cheap good head.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thank you,
    Chris

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    what motor do you have - 2.0 or 2.6? if 2.6 I have a couple - one stock jet valve and one ported non jet that was repaired on cylinders 2 and 3.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    MA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Ooops, meant to post that it's a 2.6L

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Junkyard

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I agree with LSR, if you've a machinist on tap, that'd be the easiest/cheapest route. Get a non-jet head or you'll likely end up with another cracked head, either down the road or from the junkyard.

Rockers and shafts will swap directly to a non-jet from a jetted head. The little flange and adjuster will just float in empty space. It might be worth it to have the cam journals line-bored and get a new (oversize) cam (most auto places will sell them, I know Napa does).
    Last edited by Acuta73; 08-10-2011 at 07:51 AM.

Array
    Status
    MA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    What years of heads will interchange if I go the junk yard route?

Thank you.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    I ditched my 2.6 jet valve head for a dodge caravan/plymouth voyager head. Same casting....just no jet valves. I couldnt tell you exactly what year...86 i think.
    I believe that the 2.6 head with hydraulic lifters has different oiling passages than the mechanical version.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the differences in the oiling passages are on the rocker shafts to feed the hyd lifters. The hyd heads also have different length valves if you are going with the bare head.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980