Thread: hello everyone im a nub just got a 89 ram 50, 2.6l, auto, 4x4 space cab, 200k

Array
    Status
    hudson,fl
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

hello everyone im a nub just got a 89 ram 50, 2.6l, auto, 4x4 space cab, 200k

ive been working out all the bs with this truck for a few days now, vacuum lines mostly, did timing/idle speed. I got it running pretty good but its got issues still. with all the vacuum hoses messed with im surprised it runs at all, lol. i looked for the haynes manual someone said is on here but no luck finding it. I have the stock mikuni carb. my problem is that when i get on it sometimes it kicks down and sometimes not. when it does the rpms go up (not much passing power at all) and the rpms stay up until i let off a little on the go pedal. any info on adjustment on the throttle control cable??? im assuming the secondary barrel is opening since i get high revs when it kicks down. I also feel that it doesnt wind out and it takes a long time to get up to 45 mph. any info on wher the vac advance hose on distib goes. i looked at the vac diagram on hood but that is useless. when i got it there wasnt a hose on it or near it. also, when im reading the posts i have to hit back alot to exit a post im reading???? thanks in advance

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome to mightyram. If you have no power from mid rpm up it sounds like the secondary on the carb isn't working. There's a vacuum actuator can that connects to the secondary throttle shaft. If the diaphragm inside this can splits it has 2 effects - it creates a constant vacuum leak and also won't pull the actuator rod in, which in turn won't pull the secondary throttle butterfly open. This is a common issue with older Mikuni carbs. Easy to test and easy to fix. Use the site search function to get the low down on fixing this bug and good luck!

Array
    Status
    hudson,fl
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    thanks noah for the link, i found how to set the tv cable, depress gas pedal to wot. measure the distance from the top of the black rubber cone on bottom of cable on top of bracket to the bottom of rubber part of cable above the cone shape part. its supposed to be 52 mm. this is all right below the throttle cable, the curved mech that you move to increase rpms

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    If the smog laws in Florida are exempt on your truck, maybe think about removing all that stuff and drop a weber in. Seems to solve many problems with others that have relaxed smog requirements for their state.