Array
    Status
    Houma, LA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

transmission issue/:

well i hopped in the mitsu the other day to go cruise. started off without a hitch shifting perfect. then i left a stop sign and when i went to shift to third it stayed in the nuetral position. so now its in the nuetral position,but it pulls like its in second(struggles to take of and tops out at about 40 at 6000rpm) if you try to pulle the shifter to the left,(for like first or second it grinds) if you try third or fourth it grinds but it will go into fifth and reverse no problem until you start to let off the clutch then it acts like its in fifth AND reverse and stalls out without even moving,so all this makes me think i need a new trans but it only does it sometimes,if you park it for a while you can push the shifter into all the gears no problem,exceot third is hard to find. sooooooo im still pretty sure i need to pull the trans and change it but im kinda hoping someone will tell me its something simple lol

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I would look at the d-tent balls springs and shuttle. It's what makes it not shift into 2 gears. I had a problem with popping out of gear and it turned out to be a Philip's head screw that came out of the outside of the case. Look in the tech section factory manual is in there. The trans info should be the same. I don't think it's the big one.. Pulling the trans is a 45 minute job. Just get the truck as high as you can. The trany is not that heavy. Drain the fluid. roll under it and man handle it out. It's about 45 lb.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    pull the shifter out of the tranny and see what condition it is in - sometimes the ball that it pivots with breaks or shatters (its plastic) and it won't let the shifter move through the gates properly, or the bushing on the end is gone, or both. Also check the adjustments at the detents for the internal rods, they may be out of spec. Otherwise, its tranny rebuild time.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Houma, LA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    well ive pulled the shifter already and nothing seemed out of place,im going to go ahead and pull the trans anyway to do a clutch job but ill probably pull the plate that the shifter bolts to to see what it looks like in there,ill probably end up getting a junkyard trans with a warranty though

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Drop the pan on the Tranny and have a look.

This is what a good one looks like.

and here's a Tranny Reference Manual

http://mmeierle.com/images/Max/Manua...ansmission.pdf
    Last edited by LSR Mike; 08-11-2011 at 06:40 AM.

Array
    Status
    Houma, LA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    well i got another trans,but im gonna pull the pan to take a look,but does anyone know how to change the shaft that moves the clutch?

Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

Unhappy Ouch!

OH, and for whomever may refer to this thread in the future BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN "MAN HANDLING" THE TRANNY. I was at a scrapyard pulling a clutch off of a Power Ram 50, I didn't have anything but a scissor jack to take it out. Ended up dropping the bell housing on my finger, and had to get a couple stitches.

Actually believe it or not, the bottom picture is of the wound that needed stitches.
    Last edited by abeemanator; 08-12-2011 at 11:22 PM. Reason: I FELT LIKE IT!!

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    A scissor jack???? That is what did you in. You tried to stop it from falling, didn't you? Hell you don't need stitches. Just a red shop rag and some duct tape and you Will be good as new.
    Now what shaft are you talking about. The clutch arm? FIG # 7

http://www.mightyram50.net/d-50/Fact.../06_CLUTCH.pdf

Factory First Gen d-50 manual PDF
    Last edited by SubGothius; 01-25-2023 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Fixed broken link
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Houma, LA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by LSR Mike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    A scissor jack???? That is what did you in. You tried to stop it from falling, didn't you? Hell you don't need stitches. Just a red shop rag and some duct tape and you Will be good as new.
    Now what shaft are you talking about. The clutch arm? FIG # 7
    its number 1 on the trans side of things,but so theres no confusion its the red thing in the picture
    Last edited by SubGothius; 01-25-2023 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Removed broken links from quote

Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Well I was in the scrapyard, an actual scrapyard you bring scrap to, so no one had a floor jack so my friend found a scissor jack, I don't think it was actually was under the trans any more, the transfer case was stuck on the frame. I guess I could have had the guy with the big "Claw" pick it up like he did when my friend was getting a 4 inch lift off of a Chevy but it would have screwed the cab up pretty good.

Anyone want to trade a 2.6l clutch and pressure plate for a 2.0 clutch and pressure plate?

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    To remove the shsft that the "Big RED Thing" is part of, you drive out the 2 Roll Pins with a hammer and punch.

They're located in the Center Section that attaches the throwout bearing fingers to the shaft

Array
    Status
    Houma, LA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    thanks,i ended up getting it out,just hard to get a good look at it lol i got the new trans waiting to go in,and i pulled the pan on the old trans and found a couple chunks of senchronizer(sp?)

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    The extra parts are free range gears. Now you have a trans you can learn how to take it apart and put back together. The factory manual in the manual section will cover all you need to know.

http://mightyram50.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=1184

Fig #7

arm.jpg
    Last edited by camoit; 08-13-2011 at 04:54 PM.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.