Thread: St Paul Mitsubishi Fanatic Proud New Owner of Mighty Max!

Array
    Status
    St. Paul, MN
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

St Paul Mitsubishi Fanatic Proud New Owner of Mighty Max!

Thought I'd introduce myself here. I just picked up a blue 1991 Mighty Max base 2.4 auto regular cab with 79K on the clock. From FL and made it's way up here and it's a beauty! I have a small shifting issue I hope to resolve soon, but I'm excited to continue to take care of it and have a blast!
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome. Nice truck. Is the shifting issue it not kicking into overdrive?

Array
    Status
    redding ca
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    if the shifting issue is occurring during the 1-2 or 2-3 shift get a ban adjustment immediately! the tranny is a mini a500 and this is when they normally need one. if you neglect this it will take out the tranny. should only be less than $150 for a tranny shop to flush and service. i neglected mine and it went out at 130,000

Good luck and nice truck.

Array
    Status
    St. Paul, MN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by noahwins View Post
    Welcome. Nice truck. Is the shifting issue it not kicking into overdrive?
    Quote Originally Posted by finalfighter View Post
    if the shifting issue is occurring during the 1-2 or 2-3 shift get a ban adjustment immediately! the tranny is a mini a500 and this is when they normally need one. if you neglect this it will take out the tranny. should only be less than $150 for a tranny shop to flush and service. i neglected mine and it went out at 130,000

Good luck and nice truck.
    WOW thank you guys for the quick support and already helpful knowledge I have not been able to find anywhere. So it shifts great from 1-2 but will not go into 3 at all. I'm not sure if the O/D switch means 3rd or locking the torque converter but either way 2 is my last gear at this point. I'm not sure what a ban adjustment is but I can get a fluid flush and filter quickly done if needed but the dealer said this was done as the fluid color and condition indicates so.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    OD is fourth. There's an annoying emissions feature on these transmissions that prevent it from shifting into OD until the engine temperature is in the normal range. There's a single prong temp sensor on the intake manifold that can be grounded to de-activate this feature.

But it sounds like this isn't the problem you're having.

Array
    Status
    redding ca
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    did you drive it from fl to mn like this or did it happen afterwards. Have a tranny shop look at it. there are test ports on the side of these trannys to find out what is happening. any dodge or mitsu dealer should know how to check it.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    check the kickdown cable also - if it is not connected or misadjusted it could cause that - my 91 dogkota had an A500 tranny that fried under warranty because the valve body was sticking and misdirected the fluid big time.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    St. Paul, MN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    OD is fourth. There's an annoying emissions feature on these transmissions that prevent it from shifting into OD until the engine temperature is in the normal range. There's a single prong temp sensor on the intake manifold that can be grounded to de-activate this feature.

But it sounds like this isn't the problem you're having.
    I will ground that ASAP and make sure this isn't the issue but yea it would only affect 4th not 3rd like it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by finalfighter View Post
    did you drive it from fl to mn like this or did it happen afterwards. Have a tranny shop look at it. there are test ports on the side of these trannys to find out what is happening. any dodge or mitsu dealer should know how to check it.
    It was at a dealer up here and had been here for a year or so. I didn't know you could test these. I'm practically sponsored by my local Mitsubishi dealer thanks to the many cars and customers I've had go through there so maybe tomorrow or Monday I will have them scan it.

Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    check the kickdown cable also - if it is not connected or misadjusted it could cause that - my 91 dogkota had an A500 tranny that fried under warranty because the valve body was sticking and misdirected the fluid big time.
    Pardon my ignorance, I'll have to figure out where that is located and how that is adjusted? I can totally see how that could make a difference. I had an adjustment much like this done at a shop on an ol' Chevy truck with a TH400E.

Thanks again everyone for the support. I will continue trying things asap. My weekends are full but by this time next week, I better have a remedy under way. I just can't wait to drive it and get some errands done

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    It is located at the rear of the carb where you can see it from the left side of the carb at the manifold, and it runs down from the throttle linkage. It should have a little slack with the linkage at rest.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Saint Paul MN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Oh My goodness! I just bought a 1990 Mighty Max and I live in Saint Paul!!

That is the best coincidence Ive ever!

Array
    Status
    St. Paul, MN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    It is located at the rear of the carb where you can see it from the left side of the carb at the manifold, and it runs down from the throttle linkage. It should have a little slack with the linkage at rest.
    Found it and played with it yet it did not solve the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MitsuMini View Post
    Oh My goodness! I just bought a 1990 Mighty Max and I live in Saint Paul!!

That is the best coincidence Ive ever!
    Awesome! We'll have to meet up sometime!

So I drove it to the dealer today, well, almost. I drove it, but still being in 2nd gear like usual, the torque converter seemed to disengage while cruising in 2nd. Then when I arrived after a tow, I revved it up in first and it didn't go anywhere until it just grabbed finally and I made it into the service door haha. So hopefully I can find out what's wrong through their tests and after that I'll likely either repair, rebuild, replace, or swap to manual in that order.

Array
    Status
    St. Paul, MN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Turns out that is a bad transmission as a whole. Looking at many options as I don't trust Mitsubishi auto's as this is not the only experience with this type of story. I will however keep everybody updated on the project, as there may be some surprises coming soon.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I know you just said no more Mitsu ATs, but I have a 0 mile remanufactured AW372 with a reman torque converter in Arizona that I may end up not needing.

Array
    Status
    St. Paul, MN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I know you just said no more Mitsu ATs, but I have a 0 mile remanufactured AW372 with a reman torque converter in Arizona that I may end up not needing.
    PM me a price or give me a call/text. 612.8O2.24OO

Array
    Status
    Saint Paul MN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I'm heading to my baby today. I'll open a thread tonight when I get back. Hopefully I can get it started but those might be pipe dreams

Array
    Status
    St. Paul, MN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I have almost all the parts needed for the manual swap using a Starion transmission etc. I also ordered up the LOM83-4 LSD to install as well. I hope it goes smoothly.

Array
    Status
    St. Paul, MN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thought I'd post an update! Manual trans swap complete and the truck is a hoot to drive! Scored a nice LSD unit for the rear end and enjoying it greatly.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=0acbf062b1