Array
    Status
    LC, RI
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Mighty Max idle issue

I just got ahold of an '89 Mighty Max with 54,000 original miles. Did a full tune up, with the exception of a fuel filter and a timing belt. The truck idles fine when i first start it but as soon as i tap the gas, it bogs down and acts like it's going to stall. I was wondering if anyone knew a solution to the problem other than raising the idle? I have considered a vacuum advance, but I want some tips before i start pulling things apart, as I'm new to these trucks.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Try a fuel filter.

Array
    Status
    Spearfish, South Dakota
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Also, replace the carburetor diaphragms, they are cheap. Most likely the ones on your Mikuni are dry rotted and not working correctly. Its a quick job.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Take the air filter off and twist the throttle linkage - look for a squirt of fuel in the primary throat from the accelerator enrichment jet (might have to hold the choke butterfly open to get a better look). As the name suggests this gives the primary throat a booster shot of fuel when you first crack the throttle open. If it drips or just doesn't do anything the carby needs either a big clean out or a rebuild. Also try starting it with the air filter off and starving it of air by covering both primary and secondary throats with your hand. Sometimes a sudden jump in vacuum can purge junk out of the jets. The 2 main issues with the Mikuni griefing you are the automatic choke and the secondary vacuum actuator. Let us know how you go GoodApollo

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ^ oh the third issue occurs when some monkey takes a screwdriver to it and starts messing with adjusters and stop screws without knowing what they're doing. This can cause a level of frustration that will make you want to claw your own eyeballs out in frustration