Array
    Status
    Bushkill, PA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

2.6 liter swap question

quick question, any info would be appreciated!

long story short the 2.6 in my '89 Ram 50 4x4 has a bad cylinder head. spent most of the summer looking for a donor only to find a late 1980's dodge caravan a block from my house with a 2.6 liter engine. will the front wheel drive engine (or even just the cylinder head) work in my truck? are there any differences between the FWD and RWD engines?

thanks!
    -Ryan

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    there are all kinds of differences between the caravan and the truck motor - the head can be used, but I would not waste your time with it - just buy a new head and be done with it. also be sure to buy new head bolts - they are torque to yield and cannot be reused.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Bushkill, PA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    there are all kinds of differences between the caravan and the truck motor - the head can be used, but I would not waste your time with it - just buy a new head and be done with it. also be sure to buy new head bolts - they are torque to yield and cannot be reused.

so I would not be able to swap the entire caravan engine into the truck using the truck's engine for stuff like the accessory drive and such... well shoot. I may still give it a go at least with the head swap, truck was free and the van is free if I want it, making my total investment $0, hahaha. worst case I can junk the van and mostly cover the cost of a reman head... speaking of...if anyone has any suggestions or reccomendtions for a reman head i'd appreciate it. it needs to be complete with the camshaft & valves, as mine are wasted ( cam chewed up a bearing in the head, may have bent a couple of valves too... )