Array
    Status
    orlando fl
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

91 max 01 bmw 330ci swap?

hey there guys! mew to the forum and wanted to hit it hard with an interesting question! My baby is 91 mitsubishi mighty 2.4L 5 speed with 236xxx on her and still going strong! but a buddy of mine is doing a v8 swap into his bmw and he is willing to sell me his engine, trans, harness and ecu for a steal! anyone ever seen or thought of doing anything like this? i i know doing anything other than a 4cyl swap is a super headaache but a straight 6 in a max sounds like it would be a monster! comments and concerns are welcome! and any kind of advice would be great! thanks guys! loving the forum so far

Array
    Status
    North Greensboro, Nc
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    anything is possible if you have the time, money and skill. Hope you are good and fab work.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I hope you have a LOT of money and time to sink into the project. But that would rip.

Or get the set up for free from your buddy and then trade or sell it. Buy an M42 drive train and harness for peanuts and put the rest of the money towards supporting modifications and a down payment on a Downing Atlanta Supercharger. Would require way less cutting and welding.

First tool you need is a tape measure.

Array
    Status
    Huachuca City Arizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    "....First tool you need is a tape measure....."

Yup, the engine compartment on your truck is short and the transmission tunnel is tiny, but anything is possible.

Array
    Status
    orlando fl
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    my fab skills aren't to shabby my wallet isnt that big but in a few months it will be, and i have plenty of tape measures and access to any tool i can need from the shop at work! ill do a lil thread as soon as i get everything from him and keep everyone posted! super excited! its going to be about a month tho till i get the engine so it gives me time to measure and acquire everything i will need

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    That BMW M54 motor is very long, I have an E46 with it. You will definitely have to do some fabbing to the firewall, and you will have to do a bunch of wiring/figuring out of wiring.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    there could also be an issue with the cant of the block under the hood - I know it leans, but never had a truck next to the car to compare.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    North Greensboro, Nc
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by clutchkick91 View Post
    my fab skills aren't to shabby my wallet isnt that big...
    Get BMW motor/trans for super cheap, sell, make profit, buy small block chevy or mopar. At least this way you can ask for help as I am sure you will need it and there are plenty of these on the road. It is a metric shit ton of work to swap anything, not as easy as you would think. ESPECIALLY with any euro motor as you are now coming into (like previously stated) wiring madness to the 5th degree, cluster, etc.. Now factor in the issues the bmws had just being a bmw. Research m54 for most common issues. No offense, but for the money, time and headache it absolutely not be worth it.
    I had a 83 318 with a built 1967 2002 with a 67mm and it was awesome, then we shoehorned all e46 m3 motor/trans components and it was a nightmare and really all for nothing as i wasnt willing to put the money in the computers needed to run correctly. Stripped it and sold it.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    The automatic on E36s was a GM transmission...