Thread: 4x4 1991 Mighty Max 3.0... Sad sad news...

Array
    Status
    Lakeside
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T

Unhappy 4x4 1991 Mighty Max 3.0... Sad sad news...

So I replaced the starter, the alternator, fuel filter, fuel pump, master cylinder, rotor, ignition coil, rotor, distributor.

Awesome! The Truck was running very nicely... so I swapped out the plugs and wires... because why not?

The 4th Spark Plug broke off broke right off at the threads. Holy crap... No big deal though right???

I spent all weekend doing the research and purchased the necessary gear to extract the plug.

Five minutes ago I was using the EZ Out plug extractor to remove it - when... that too also snapped off.

So..... I am considering just buying a new engine and getting one that doesn't leak oil.

Do you guys have any thoughts or suggestions?

The plug that broke off was on the right side of the block (middle plug) I dont have the experience to remove the heads and put it all back.... I feel sooo defeated.....

Array
    Status
    redding ca
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    try finding a mobile mechanic that will get that plug out. should be around the 100 dollar mark to do, maybe cheaper. this happens more than you would think with older vehicles. people being lazy and not putting anti seize on the plug threads.

Array
    Status
    redding ca
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    they usually set that cylinder to tdc and drill it out. then they put a heli coil kit in and clean out the cylinder, its usually all good at this point.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    i agree with finalfighter...sounds like a helicoil for your issue. However!, (& a pic of the troubled plug would help)...try a continous daily soaking of pb blaster (or the like) & (if you have access to a welder) tack weld an old tool like a busted screwdriver onto the plug to gain "grip" & maybe get lucky & unscrew the busted piece. worst case drill out the plug & insert a helicoil.