Array
    Status
    Newark, Delaware
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Winter - Salt & Rust

I've got an '86 Mighty Max and an '87 Montero.

Last winter the Mighty Max took a really harsh beating with the amount of salt they put on the roads in Delaware, rusted two sizable holes around the cab mounts on the floor pan and my side paneling of both doors. Both holes about 4 inches in diameter.

Do you drive your aging trucks year round? How has your truck held up in the winters? Anyone just keep them in the garage over winter or any tips of preventing this from happening on the Montero?

Array
    Status
    redding ca
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Ouch! Thats some harsh salt. my brother had an old datsun b210 that literary rusted a new hole every time he fixed the last one. ended up using rhino liner on the whole bottom of the body. probably still rusted but he could not tell with that stuff.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    in new england everything rusts like its on fire...i have my trucks sprayed with a heated combination of bar & chain oil mixed with wax...they charge me 60/small http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...hp?albumid=301 vehicle & 80/large http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ow-flinksander.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Rust = Cancer, If ya let it go...it will kill a vehicle. I am so glad that we don't have salt poured on our roads during heavy winters. Our treatment is like an anti-freeze liquid that gets sprayed behind tanker trucks. Though it does some damage to paint if your following too close.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by mtsteve View Post
    I've got an '86 Mighty Max and an '87 Montero.

Last winter the Mighty Max took a really harsh beating with the amount of salt they put on the roads in Delaware, rusted two sizable holes around the cab mounts on the floor pan and my side paneling of both doors. Both holes about 4 inches in diameter.

Do you drive your aging trucks year round? How has your truck held up in the winters? Anyone just keep them in the garage over winter or any tips of preventing this from happening on the Montero?
    Before the 'Mule' was retired I drove the I-80 corridor to Tahoe a bunch, the amount of salt applied to the O/pass asphalt was ... well...
    ludicrous !!!--- read salt/frozen f/way mush/stalagmites formed on the front fender lower 'A' pillar ? drain ? (lol) holes.

I beat the web with the google stick for a cure/ preventative--- The simplest, most $ effective cure only required My time!

Got home, thawed out the garden hose, washed down the undercarriage ,ran copious amounts of water into the cowl , right & left,
    Re started the 'Mule' & let run so the powertrain would dry to the point of just being in a heavy rainstorm.