Array
    Status
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

Help!!! Wanna get my truck operational

I just put a new trans in my truck and after sitting for a few weeeks its having issues dying under a load and its idling is really low. I have no idea what it could be, all I want to do is drive it again.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    sounds like a clogged fuel filter. any smoke?
    trans shouldnt effect it, is it a auto?

Array
    Status
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Plenty of smoke coming out of the pipe

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    is boost building? sounds like its either not getting boost, or way to much fuel, even if i hit a large load like towing a car, my smoke clears when turbo comes up

Array
    Status
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Well buy some miracle it just fired up and now it's running like it used to

Array
    Status
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    So another issue has risen, it tends to bog down between 3000 to 4000 rpm, and when it comes to idling it would either die or nearly die then climb back up. Any thoughts on this nightmare? When I first got it, it pulled very well and it was pretty fun driving. Then it sat for awhile cause I was on the hunt for a transmission. Now it has these issues, also I need a block warmer since there is plug where it is supposed to be and it is a huge pain to start in the morning.

Array
    Status
    redding ca
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    to me it sounds like fuel system related so check that out. should idle fine without the turbo because its not used when idling. also check to make sure you did not damage any fuel lines when putting the new tranny in. i recommend checking to make sure all fuel lines are properly connected and in good shape and check all the turbo clamps then bleed the fuel system.

hope this helps

Array
    Status
    redding ca
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    also check the fuel filter

Array
    Status
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Update, put the tank in since it arrived and swapped everything over, but once I swapped everything over. I realized that a line for the fuel return split in half so that was the cause of my leak......oh well have a spare tank that I just might mount in the bed for additional fuel. Still having issues with idling and running. Fuel filter was pretty dirty so that will be next on the list to replace. Haven't even driven this thing a for more of a total time of 2 weeks after two months of owning it. Any other thoughts other than a fuel filter replacement? Thought about the injection pump but not sure yet

Array
    Status
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    good news, it was just bad filter that was clogging the fuel line.....

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Doesn't matter what fuel they're running on, it's always lack of regular maintenance that kills these trucks...

Array
    Status
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    well in my hands it will be taken care of, right now Im on the hunt for a block warmer or whatever it is that bolts into the side of the block behind the fuel injection pump.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    There was a block warmer behind the pump on the 4D56 that I traded to incorporatedx. It looked like a heating element that threaded in with an AC extension cord coming off it. Very simple. Like a universal block warmer would work maybe.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by noahwins View Post
    There was a block warmer behind the pump on the 4D56 that I traded to incorporatedx. It looked like a heating element that threaded in with an AC extension cord coming off it. Very simple. Like a universal block warmer would work maybe.
    my d56 block warmer is in a freeze plug hole. they can be purchased on ebay, or directly in a carquest store. carquest also carries the magnetic oil pan warmers

Array
    Status
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    That's something I've been looking for but no luck on eBay and what not

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    What do you have for the glow plugs? Have you updated anything there or still have the original relay? I ask because it hasn't really been cold enough to justify plugging it in yet. I do see why you'd like to stop the leak but you said it doesn't want to start. For my truck it has to get closer to 0 degrees Fahrenheit before I start considering plugging it in.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by idahoboy View Post
    That's something I've been looking for but no luck on eBay and what not
    They arnt motor specific, you order one for your freeze plug size. I put one in my g54, was a 42mm for rear driver freeze plug, I ordered a 400w unit. Was nice in winter lol

Just need freeze plug size, then ebay "42mm block heater"

Array
    Status
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Spence View Post
    What do you have for the glow plugs? Have you updated anything there or still have the original relay? I ask because it hasn't really been cold enough to justify plugging it in yet. I do see why you'd like to stop the leak but you said it doesn't want to start. For my truck it has to get closer to 0 degrees Fahrenheit before I start considering plugging it in.
    I have ngk glow plugs, it just has a hard time starting but once it's fired up, it'll keep going. Well here in Idaho it gets colder earlier and being above sea level makes the air a little thinner. Haven't really updated anything since everything works now aside from leaking

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by idahoboy View Post
    I have ngk glow plugs, it just has a hard time starting but once it's fired up, it'll keep going. Well here in Idaho it gets colder earlier and being above sea level makes the air a little thinner. Haven't really updated anything since everything works now aside from leaking
    I would recommend updating your glow plug relay set up. They originally came with a timed system but there have been a lot of problems with them not putting out enough or just shorting out. I actually updated mine to the same relay as a 97 powerstroke. They get hotter that way, so I removed the timing setup and just have a button that I push for about 4 seconds and then increase the throttle knob. I bought my truck from an Idahoan and happened to live in St. Anthony for 3 years of owning my truck. Without the update I would have had to plug my truck in during the summer. I've had the truck for 4 years now and 40,000 miles and have only replaced the glow plugs once, so if you are careful they can still last a long time.
    I usually only plugged my truck in once it got down to below zero. Otherwise it was just to much work for my battery to warm my plugs and turn the motor over. If it's parked outside and the wind is blowing (when isn't it in Idaho?) I would start plugging it in when it'd get down to about 15 degrees at night.

Array
    Status
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    It looks the the glow pug relay is updated, cause just like yours my glow plugs are on switch inside the cab. I haven't put in the block heater yet but I have been starting it with very light amount of starter fluid for now. Due to me cranking over the motor so much that my starter actually went out and I had to leave it at work over night. Luckily I found a starter for a gas vehicle that it was enough to get me home but not enough to start it again since it doesn't the amount of power that is required the turn the engine over, so my dilemma right now is either somehow source a rebuild kit for the starter, find someone who has a spare starter for the 4d55t or buy one from my work which wouldnt get here till the 4th of November. Another question I have is, what would burn out first on a starter? The solenoid or the motor itself?

Array
    Status
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Also, would would be considered a upgrade for the starter? I now mitsubishi made starts for their straight six turbo diesel but I am curious if the starter will bolt up

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It can get tricky when you're messing with starter motors. There is a gear reduction starter motor that 'might' be suitable for the D55 but I am not up to speed on diesels.

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I've bought a starter for a swap truck I had about 2 years ago from Napa for around $80. It had the 4D55t and it worked well enough. I assume it's still working but I sold the truck shortly after. Never thought about the upgrade.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    what was it for? i am still running the Mitsubishi starions g54 starter no issues. i did hurt one though