Status
    Lacey, WA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G37

New Member '88 D50 Sportcab Olympia, Wa

Hey!

About 3 years ago, I bought this truck from the family of a gentleman who passed away at the apartment complex where I worked. They asked if I was interested, and I said I didn't have a lot of money, but that my son needed a vehicle pretty bad. The son looked at the daughter who was apparently in charge of eliminating everything and asked "$300?" She shrugged & said sure! So she came home with me!

My son has been driving it for the last 3 years, and hasn't done a lot of maintenance to it (i.e. none!) and has moved on to a newer vehicle. Since it's always been in my name, I don't have any expenses to start driving it, but it does need some work. The starter is dead, and when we do bump start it, it runs horrible! I think there may be a cracked exhaust manifold, and the carb is a POS that I'll pull and replace with a Weber pretty soon.

A few questions... The starter was actually replaced once, and started acting up again... my son was told that it needed to be shimmed.. does anybody have any experience with needing to shim the starters on this truck? 2.6 engine BTW.

Also, when I got the truck, it had a little over 112k on the clock, and now at 165k Going to do the timing belt, and everything on the what should I do first list, but was wondering what mileage folks get out of this engine? It's a real dog, and it's mostly because of the carb/manifold issue, but once those items are taken care of I'm hoping it will last a while.

Last thing, I've been finding it pretty hard to find an exhaust manifold, and headers are either expensive, or cheap from what I see.. I may make my own headers... I have a CNC plasma cutting table, and will cut my own header flange, will 3/8" be thick enough? Also, would 1.5" tube be too small to use? I have that die for my bender, and a 2" but I think that may be too big..

Thanks, and looking forward to tinkering with the truck!

Oldsarge

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Welcome to the Bord.
    Here is a good place to start. We started a thread on just what to do first before you drive it any more and risk being stranded. Not saying you will but it's a good starting place.
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...and-do-it-ASAP

There is no shims on the starter. It's probably a bad ring gear.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com