Thread: New to me 87 Dodge Ram 50 in Ga.

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

New to me 87 Dodge Ram 50 in Ga.

Just recently picked up this 87 Dodge Ram 50 from a friend after trying to get it from him for several years.
    It has sat for over a year before I got it.

Put some fresh gas and stabil in it along with a fresh battery. Cleaned carb and air filter up and got it running and idling on its own then drove it to the house.

Once home I started cleaning it, there's grime and mold all over it and the bed was full of crap.

Had to stop because apparently wasps had decided to make this truck home!

I've got new plugs, wires, coil, distributor cap, rotor and fuel filter waiting to put on.

Plans are to order weber carb, finish cleaning up truck and get this thing running good for the time being. Later plans are a set of wheels, static lowering setup, new front valance and exhaust work. LATER plans are 4g63t swap.
    First time really messing with mitsubishi, always been a Honda/Acura guy having owned several civics and integras. Currently have a 91 civic wagon that's just a daily cruiser so to speak.

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

This is as far as I got before getting dive bombed by wasps.

Tires are shot and it definitely needs a good cleaning!!!

Other than junkyards where could I get interior replacement parts like wiper switch, dimmer knob and door arm rests?

Array
    Status
    Huachuca City Arizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    Welcome, I’m a new guy here too, and am also in the process of building an 87 Ram 50. I’ve had mine for several years but actually only moved it into the shop and got serious with it a few months ago.

"......Other than junkyards where could I get interior replacement parts like wiper switch, dimmer knob and door arm rests....."

The wrecking yard, E Bay or possibly members here are probably going to be your best bet. For the dimmer knob you might find some kind of universal replacement from some place like ACE Hardware.....I've actually seem some there that are pretty close looking.

The really bad news is your wiper switch. It is actually a combination switch and contains the Headlight Switch, Headlight Dimmer Switch, Turn Signal Switch, Windshield Wiper Switch and windshield washer switch. They are available new from several sources……..prices seem to range in the $225-$275 range. I thought I’d pick up a new one just to have on the shelf….that is until I saw the price. I’m keeping my eye out for a good used one.

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Finally got the chance to clean it up. Cleaned the bed out and then broke the handle for the tailgate....guess Ill add that to the list of things to replace.

Picked up a new belt, PCV valve, thermostat and gasket. Still need to put everything on. Truck runs decent, but it definitely needs the weber. I see that there are several vacuum hoses plugged and the air tube from the exhaust isnt even connected to anything just bent shut.

Array
    Status
    Huachuca City Arizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    It looks like the truck cleaned up nicely !

The broken tailgate handle is pretty common, at least they are available new.

Mine had the same problem. I went looking for a replacement in the local wrecking yard, but they didn't have any 87's so I snagged a metal one off an 85. I also had to change out the latch the handle connects to and if I remember correctly enlarge a couple of mounting holes a bit. It's not a perfect fit, but it doesn't look out of place, and I doubt I'll ever have to replace it again.

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G63
    Hey unc25, welcome to the forum..............

What part of Georgia are you in?

I'm down Augusta way.

Array
    Status
    redding ca
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Nice Find! i would suggest changing the timing belt and pulleys or at least looking at them to make sure they are in good shape. most likely needs a timing belt. Hope that it treats you good.

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome truck looks a lot better now.I use to go to junk yards in rossville Georgia(if that is close to you) when I lived in Tennessee. They where all over the place. Just call around first for localparts.good luck.

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Timing belt is on the list of things to do, but I need to fix the spark plug hole threads and figure out the coil wires that I may have in inadvertently mixed up. Ive asked on the board but no one has responded...I need a picture of a stock coil setup to assist.

mitchi: Im in the henry county area (south of Atlanta)