Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

I have a leak

Hi its an 85 Ram 50 and the leak seems to be from the grill between the hood and windshield over the glove box. Somehow this thing is not a rust bucket. It has superficial rust but nothing deep or needing repair except possibly this leak. I have no idea how to get that grill off to look. Any suggestions? Is this a common failure point?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The windshield gasket shrinks and it will run down the A-pillar either onto the dash or the floor - my 86 project truck has the same leak, and rotted out the rocker on the inside of the truck, but not the floor.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Is there a method for removing that grill? I will get the windshield gasket fixed since there is only superficial rust on it.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    that cowl panel is welded on - you have to drill out the spot welds to remove it. Are you sure it is not leaking around the heater air intake? I am not sure what you mean about superficial rust on the windshield gasket - the gasket is rubber with a stainless steel locking strip. you can also remove the panel on the right side of the firewall to get access into that side of the cowl.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Duh bad Grammar. By "it" I meant the truck in general. Thanks I'll look into it I expect you are right about the gasket.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    OK I looked and the windshield is rubber only and it looks good. The rear window on the other hand looks like it failed at the top passenger side corner. That makes more sense since the cardboard box behind the bench was soaking. I had assumed the wet floor in front came from the front. Now to find a gasket as my local can't access one.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    What is a reasonable price for a rear window gasket? It is a one piece window.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    finding one will be the issue - used ones are probably be as bad as the one you got. Mike Warme may have NOS ones - also look at steele rubber products
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I've already found one but they want $93 bucks for it that is why I asked about the price. The glass guy wants $175 to install it!

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I don't have any chrome trim around my windshield. ???? Is that just chrome or is it functional?

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Can anyone describe how the windshield is removed? It doesn't look like the usual epoxy job. I'm thinking it might be similar to the rear window.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It's a press fit seal. One way to remove the glass is to spray soapy water around the inside and outside of the rubber, roll the rubber from the inside and push the glass out. This will be a lot easier with someone helping you as there is a real risk of bursting the windscreen, especially if the rubber is rock hard. Once the seal starts to move it should slip out of the cab without too much effort.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    that is the rear window that you can peel out from the inside - the windshield won't come out like that without breaking the windshield - better to use a utility knife and cut the gasket around the windshield and lift the glass out - you will need a new gasket for it. - I may have a rear window gasket, but I need to see if it is still usable - I will let you know.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I emailed with Mike and ended up ordering the rear gasket from Steele Rubber. I'm gonna try the back window myself after seeing how easy it was to do with cord there is no way I am paying $175 for the glass guy to do that. Even with two guys that's a $50 job tops especially iwth me supplying the gasket. If I can find the front gasket new I might do it too.