Should've added - looks tidy! Nice work

Array
    Status
    Huachuca City Arizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    Thanks Geezer. No I didn’t add anything to the back of the cab……..I figure I’ll just turn the stereo up if needed .

Ratesheet, I’m really not too concerned about the current drive train holding up……the little jap rearends are more hardy than most people give them credit for. The little 283 is a piss winder but far from being a torque monster and I kept the rear tire size very reasonable. I’m also 64 years old and although I like to take this out and play with it, my driving habits are not as aggressive as they were years ago……I did a lot of “test to destruction” back in my misspent youth.

Array
    Status
    Huachuca City Arizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    Figured I’d do another update. With the interior done I decided to move on to getting the AC working. Frankly, if the truck had not had AC, I probably would not have built it. Retaining the AC was even the driving factor on the engine choice…….I would have preferred to put a SB Mopar in it, but by my measurements it would have moved the radiator too far forward to retain the AC condenser. Even the shorter SBC required the radiator and condenser to be moved forward to the very back of the grill.

Basically I was down installing a new receiver dryer and having the high and low pressure hoses from the compressor built. The system was still holding pressure when I took it apart and the compressor felt good when I turned it over by hand so I figured I take a chance on it. I flushed the system and retrofit it for 134a then buttoned it all up.

I started charging the system and everything was going well until I hit just under 100 PSI (on the high side….well below the operating pressure)……..and the condenser blew. I’m still not sure what happened, it could have been internal corrosion from being almost 30 years old and sitting for 10 years or maybe I nicked it when I was installing it. Anyway the rupture occurred on the radiator side of the condenser which meant the oil that got sucked out of the system was thrown into the fan and evenly deposited all over the engine compartment.

I had noticed the compressor had been just a bit noisy when I was charging it so in addition to a new condenser I also decided to put a new compressor on. Up until that point I had always figured the AC on the truck was factory. When I started looking for a compressor and condenser however nothing was matching up with the parts books or factory service manuals…….my truck uses a Sanden 508 compressor instead of the Chrysler unit, the expansion valve is completely different, I couldn’t find anything that even came close to the condenser. Even the wiring (which looks factory) is different than the factory service manual shows. I even check the parts books for trucks a couple years newer and older and still didn’t come up with anything. As best as I can figure now the system I have is probably a very nice dealer installed unit.

Finding a new compressor was no big deal but I had no luck at all finding a condenser that was a direct replacement for the one that blew. I looked at a few universal ones in the catalog, but just going by dimensions in a book and pictures of fitting locations ends up being best guess until you actually have the unit in your hands.

I eventually ended up making a run to the local wrecking yard where they had 2 86s with factory AC and after looking at the condenser figured I might be able to make one of those work (at $20 it was cheap enough to try……and if it did work at least those units are still available new in the aftermarket if what I picked up turned out to be bad too).

The 1st gen unit was actually pretty close to fitting my 3nd Gen but I did have to spend the afternoon remaking the mounting brackets I had used for the first condenser and slightly relocating the receiver dryer. I also had to have the high side hose I had had built re-done. Because I didn’t know how much oil I had lost when the condenser blew, I reflushed the system and started all over with the new compressor.

Anyway this time the charging went as planned and I now have working AC. On a side note, I went back out the junk yard and pulled the second condenser from the other 86…..you can never have too many spares LOL.

I needed to go to Tucson yesterday (about a 150 mile round trip) so I had a chance to see how the truck would do on the interstate and get an idea of mileage (it was a little too cool to run the AC). I ran between 70-80 MPH pretty much the whole trip and the truck did great. When I figured the mileage I was getting 20 MPG……I’m not disappointed but did figure the truck would do a bit better. I do figure with a bit of fine tuning and a bed cover (currently on order) I should pick up a couple more MPG.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Nice work !!!
    ---On the mileage note, time to replace the 3.90's with 3.55's ? or perhaps
    something in the 3.2x range ?

Array
    Status
    Huachuca City Arizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    "....On the mileage note, time to replace the 3.90's with 3.55's ? or perhaps something in the 3.2x range...."

I thought about that when I was building the truck and it's not entirely out of the question at some future point. One of the things stopping me from doing it at this point is the little 283 seems to be in it's sweet spot RPM wise (2500-2800) right now at highway speeds.

I've still haven't fine tuned it yet and if past experience is any indication I should pick up a mile or two to the gallon with the bed cover. Believe me with the stuff I usually drive even 20 MPG is perfectly acceptable.

Array
    Status
    Grants,NM
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    great build!! where did you find the alternator wiring adapter? need some of those for mine.

Array
    Status
    Huachuca City Arizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    Thanks. I picked them up off E Bay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...diode&_sacat=0

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Luv the driving video. Always seems strange to me to hear the rumble of a V8 coming from vehicles that have been burned into our memories to sound like a 4 banger. Always draws in attention to stop and take a long look to wonder what is under that hood. Nice build! I hope some day to do the same.

Array
    Status
    Huachuca City Arizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    This should be the last major thing to add to the Ram 50.

Because of the spare, jack and tool box I want to carry in the back as well as the occasional suitcase, I decided I needed a bed cover. I ended up using one intended for a Ranger, but with a little bit of work I managed to make it work on the Ram 50.

I did an install post here if anyone is interested.

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...agon-Bed-cover

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Outstanding

Array
    Status
    Alabama
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    How wide and long is the bed on your D50? I have a 1980 D50 and need a bed cover. Thanks....

Array
    Status
    Huachuca City Arizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    On my 87 the bed is 6' Long and 56" wide.

On a side note we installed a dead bolt to the tailgate yesterday so that could be locked from the inside. My Grandsons had a school holiday yesterday, so I figured I'd put them to work. Their hands fit inside the tailgate better than mine

Array
    Status
    Winter Park, FL
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Awesome build, but need more video's and or burnouts

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I wonder if you could use a release lever and mechanism from another car/hatch back and adapt it to the tailgate?

Array
    Status
    Huachuca City Arizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    "......I wonder if you could use a release lever and mechanism from another car/hatch back and adapt it to the tailgate?....."

That's a thought (and a good one). The deadbolt is intended to be temporary until I can figure something else out. I'd been kind of leaning towards modifying a locking tailgate latch of something newer but haven't gotten further than the thinking stage.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Look for an electric latch from a mini van and connect it to the handle on the tailgate. You could also flip the handle inside of the gate, with a manual release hidden under the tailgate in case the battery dies or the latch quits working - like shaved door handles.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Huachuca City Arizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    The Ram 50 has been running about a year now and I just got back from my annual 4000 mile (round) trip back to Illinois and the odometer is now just shy of 10,000 total miles.

The good news is the truck did great and I hauled a few hundred pounds books and bookcase in it on the way home. The stock seat is surprisingly comfortable on a long trip and the AC will just about freeze you out. Engine temperature ran between 180 and 190 the whole trip (even running 75-80 MPH with the AC on and the outside temperature around 100 degrees). Gas mileage averaged 20-22 MPG.

The only problem I had on the whole trip was losing the top windshield molding and corner piece. I had had the windshield replaced a couple of months ago so I suspect the guy who did it didn’t get the trim completely snapped into the clips. If anybody knows where I can find replacement trim please let me know.

Array
    Status
    Kona
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    I am so stoked to have found this thread. A couple months ago I found a 88 Ram 50, 2.0L, 2wd. A month ago I found a 88 Power Ram 2.6L, 4x4. I'm looking to do a v8 swap and, if I am able, also do a 4x4 conversion.

I live in Hawaii and have a friend that is moving off island. I am going to see if I can get him to sell me his small block zz4.

Anyways, I expect to run into a lot of unexpected stuff and this thread is going to be a lot of help. I can't wait to get going.

Thanks for all of the details you provide!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123