Thread: Trans might be going out in my '84 4x4 5 speed diesel. Any tranny swap options?

Array
    Status
    Athens, Georgia, USA
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55

Trans might be going out in my '84 4x4 5 speed diesel. Any tranny swap options?

Will the gas version work?

Thanks,

Don

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    It will not. Bell housings are different sizes and they do not match up. You could swap the guts from a gas into the diesel transmission.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    as long as its the trans for the 2.6 it will bolt up

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    True.. but then you (Maxslack) also need to consider that the diesels have the hydraulic clutch and not the mechanical.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Spence View Post
    True.. but then you (Maxslack) also need to consider that the diesels have the hydraulic clutch and not the mechanical.
    that i did not know

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    What sort of symptoms are you getting? I thought the tranny was going out in my 84' but was relieved to find it being a different concern. Here's my thread:
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...s-Happy-ending!

Array
    Status
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D55-T
    If it is trans, I got what you need within driving distance.
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...l-Semi-partout

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Montero Trans is the the same. SWB montero with a 2.6 is hydraulic. However if you are keeping the truck just find a good shop and have it fixed. That way you will know what you got. Chances are you will spend a few hundred on a used one and spend a bunch of time swapping to find out it lasts only 5,000 miles and than? Most shops charge $325 bench labor to disassemble and reassemble plus the bearing and synchro kit. They will suggest anything else that looks worn and now you have something solid.

Mike

Array
    Status
    Athens, Georgia, USA
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55

Array
    Status
    Athens, Georgia, USA
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55
    mitsu ram50 trans gears.jpgJust pulled the transmission out of my '84 KM-145. The trans actually locked up pulling out of the driveway. I got it out of gear but the damage was done. Turns out the PO had rebuilt the trans and forgot to put gear oil in it! When I drained it about 3 ounces came out with a lot of metal dust and broken pieces of gears. Any recommendations? Rebuild or replace with a used trans. I found a couple within a hundred miles for under 300. SWB Montero 2.6 has the hydraulic clutch that I need, right? Thanks for your time!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by maxslack View Post
    ...Any recommendations? Rebuild or replace with a used trans.
    Your trans is trash. After new gear sets, synchros, bearings and seals it would be cheaper to buy a whole truck for parts. I'd honestly source another trans. Good thing is that these parts are available (obviously as they were installed by an idiot before you got it). Not what you want to find out. It must've sounded like driving a WW2 tank without any gear oil in it

Array
    Status
    Athens, Georgia, USA
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55
    I found a 1983 D50 4X4 5 speed with a 2.6l and supposedly 57K miles that runs good and everything works but no bed for $1200. That tranny should work, right? I could part out the rest or keep it for parts. Nice thing is I know if the tranny works BEFORE I swap it. Any advise?

Array
    Status
    Athens, Georgia, USA
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55
    I also found a '87 Raider 4X4 with a 2.6l 5 speed and 80k miles with a bad motor, otherwise clean and functional. Will the 2.6l from the '83 D50 4x4 work in the Raider? I might get both and end up with a Nice Raider and my sweet '84 4D56 4X4 back up and running...Hmmm...

Array
    Status
    Athens, Georgia, USA
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55
    I just found a 1987 Montero sport 4X4 5speed trans and transfer case from a low (80K) mile rig for $250, and it was only 20 miles away! I'm going to put in in this afternoon. Yeah!!!

Array
    Status
    Athens, Georgia, USA
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55
    Got it in and it works great . FYI: The transfer case shifters are NOT interchangeable. The 5 speed stick on the montero/raider works but is a couple inches taller.

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Glad you got it all resolved and running proper again. Always a good feeling.

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I'd always advise to upgrade to newer transmissions when replacing these The 2nd gen off 24l gas truck engines trans are soewhat stronger and parts should be easier and available for longer time as well.
    There are some UPGRADE suggestions re bearings etc, and there is always cryo treatent and coating tech for wear parts that show proclivities to fail as well. Those first ben trans were WEAK for the diesel power pulses and tq output Even using Amsoil, I never got more than 100,000 miles out of them, (and I bought my 84 off the showroom floor) maintained BERRER than recomended with amsoil from 5000 miles from new! Bearings wore out at input shaft and 5th gear. 2nd gear synchros as well. My wife had a beautiful Black/beige Sport with 4wd 5 speed bought used with 30,000 miles. Same maintainance, but only got 80,000 out of the trannys using same maintainance practices. Fortunately, my fishing buddy owned a transmission shop and was sympathetic since we used my trucks and boat to fish, and tow boats to beach for fishing as well!!

Array
    Status
    Athens, Georgia, USA
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55
    Quote Originally Posted by thillskier View Post
    I'd always advise to upgrade to newer transmissions when replacing these The 2nd gen off 24l gas truck engines trans are soewhat stronger and parts should be easier and available for longer time as well.
    There are some UPGRADE suggestions re bearings etc, and there is always cryo treatent and coating tech for wear parts that show proclivities to fail as well. Those first ben trans were WEAK for the diesel power pulses and tq output Even using Amsoil, I never got more than 100,000 miles out of them, (and I bought my 84 off the showroom floor) maintained BERRER than recomended with amsoil from 5000 miles from new! Bearings wore out at input shaft and 5th gear. 2nd gear synchros as well. My wife had a beautiful Black/beige Sport with 4wd 5 speed bought used with 30,000 miles. Same maintainance, but only got 80,000 out of the trannys using same maintainance practices. Fortunately, my fishing buddy owned a transmission shop and was sympathetic since we used my trucks and boat to fish, and tow boats to beach for fishing as well!!

Thanks for the info! I'd love to toughen up the transmission on my truck. This is the 4th failure in 109k miles. Pretty abysmal failure rate. The W56 transmission in my Toyota 4X4 holds up to any towing I throw at it even with a 3 liter turbo diesel Mercedes engine motivating it.

Do you know if the 2.4l 4X4 transmission is a direct swap? Would I use my original transfer case or the one from the 2.4l? My engine has the wide bolt spacing (13.5") if I'm not mistaken. Also, do the 2.4l transmissions use hydraulic clutches? If this is a viable swap I will gladly do it, otherwise I will use my 2 transmissions to make one with upgraded bearings etc.

Thanks again for the advise!!!

Don