Array
    Status
    Dixon, Ca
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Sooo... Failed smog today

Hey everyone! I've decided to post my question and at the same time introduce myself since I now own my very first MM!
    Anyway I smogged the old gal today and everything passed except "fuel vapor leak" guy at the smog place said he crimped the line from the charcoal can and pressurised the system. He continued to tell me that it can be the rubber lines that connect the hard fuel lines and only way to find out where it is he needs to smoke it. Gas cap is fine no leaks. Has anyone ran into this problem? If so what did u do to correct it?
    Thanks for the help in advance!
    B4 I get roasted I did do my homework on the forums and looked through many many posts and nothing similar to what my problem is. Pls help!!

Array
    Status
    Spearfish, South Dakota
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    I would go to another shop and have them run your car through there smog procedure. I think this place is just trying to squeeze money out of you. Go to a pass or dont pay, its in there best interest to pass your truck, and you don't run into these sketchy "small" but end up being very expensive problems after diagnostics and repair.
    I think its a money grab...

Array
    Status
    Dixon, Ca
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Was thinking the same thing.
    Thanks for the advice!

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    If you want a second opinion I can do an EVAP test for you. But you're far from Oakland, not sure if it's worth the drive.

Array
    Status
    Spearfish, South Dakota
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Noah,

Since co2 and other particulates are in chech, shouldent his truck be an easy pass since he is pre OBD II and there is no ECU talk?

Back when I lived in SOCAL, my smog guy could get anything to pass pre obd II

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    That's pre-STAR program though. Inspectors and shops are continually scored against every other tech and shop in the state. You get flagged for looking the other way. There are still ways.

Array
    Status
    Dixon, Ca
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thanks for the help noah. I'm going to take it to another shop and see if he says the same thing. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will pass with no problem. But if it's the same thing then I'll take you up on that offer. I've been checking online how to make a smoker but I don't want to over pressurize and mess things up. But anyway, will keep u guys posted on what happens when I take it in. Thanks again for the feed back!

Array
    Status
    Dixon, Ca
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Hey guys quick update. I followed and swapped out the old hoses that lead from gas tank to charcoal container, smogged her and guess what.... SHE PASSED!!
    Wierd thing is that I took the hoses to my smog guy and he said I didn't have to change them.. They are still in good condition ... I should have just waited 2days for my smog guy to save what I spent on the 1st smog... Well anyway problem solved! Thanks for all the input!