Status
    usa
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55

HELP Please...save me from feeling more SHTOOPID than I already do

Hi all,
    I have just joined and really need some input please.
    I have a 1990 Mighty Max 2WD with a 2.4 engine. I bought it 4 years ago with the new engine and gear box in the back (brand new with plastic wrapping).
    My problem should be simple to resolve but I am damned if I can sort it out.

THE PROBLEM:
    Ok, the metal tube that comes out of the water pump and passes around the rear of the engine and connects to the interior heater also has what appears to be a smaller bypass outlet. The trouble is I cannot find what to connect this bypass hose to especially as I do not have the rubber hose as a guide. Please help as this is driving me nuts !!!!

My only redemption is that I did not take the old engine out so have no point of reference.
    Thanks in advance for saving what little remains of my sanity.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Take a look at this fiche and see if you see it:

http://www.partsbase.org/mitsubishi/...sensor-switch/

Array
    Status
    usa
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55
    Many thanks for that Noahwins....so it appears it connect into the manifold I really appreciate the rapid reply.... Thanks

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    No problem. Welcome to the forum. Post some pics of your truck in Member Introductions when you get a chance.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    That hose (10712) runs to the throttle body.

Array
    Status
    usa
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55
    Hey thanks for all of your help on this. I will post some pics but she is not yet as pretty as she can be.
    The story to my Mighty Max goes like this......
    Really i was looking for a 300zx to restore to a good daily driven status. For six weeks I searched with Cash in Hand but I either found junked out beaters or those already restored for Crazy money.
    I had pretty much given up on the cause. I returned home a lazily scanned Craigslist. I stumbled upon this Mighty Max. Truthfully, I had never even heard of a Mighty Max prior to this. The pictures looked good and the weather was fine so I drove out to go and see it. They wanted $1,000 for it.
    When I arrived there was this pretty little pickup perfect as a little runabout with a brand new engine and stick shift gearbox (still wrapped in plastic) sitting in the back of it. A Woman approached me and I asked if it was OK to look over the Mighty Max.
    As I looked more carefully at the pickup I realized that it has an entirely upgraded suspension and Brakes, a new exhaust, Radiator etc. apart from a new engine and gearbox. I asked her if she was really sure that she only wanted $1.000 for it. She replied that the best offer she had had was $350 !!!
    I said that I wouldn't insult her with such a small offer bearing in mind what it had with and on it. She went on to explain that it used to be her Brother's who loved it so much that he promised himself that when it got tired he would give it a new engine and gearbox as well as generally upgrading it....it even has subtle sport wheels.
    I told her that if she was sure she only wanted $1,000 dollars for it to do the paperwork and that I would return with the full amount and a trailer.
    So, that is how she came into my possession.
    In truth that Winter a friend and I installed the engine and gearbox after they were painted Hemi Orange (well you have to don't you?) but the project was frozen due to a move and major job change. Well, after much nagging from my Wife as she wants it as her runabout it is nearling completion with only the final connections to be made before she starts an entirely new life in a new form.
    I feel I owe it to the previous owner who obviously bestowed so much love on this little Mitsubishi (and also to stop the nagging) that I am motivated to complete the project.
    So many, many thanks to those who so kindly helped me in the brain boggling dilemma of where one of the last hoses connects to.
    Thanks and I am happy to have found such a gracious group of Mighty Max - Ram 50 owners.

One other hurdle I have encountered... the car had no Fan Clutch so I bought one but the metal fan I have does not have anywhere near the same mounting points as the clutch does. Anyone know where I can find an original fan?

Thanks all,

Warthog

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    will this help?:

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...tor-fan-clutch

also try rockauto.com

Array
    Status
    usa
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55
    Ok on the subject of the cooling fan.... i purchased the Fan clutch mechanism and it does appear that I have an original metal radiator fan blade. However, without hand making an "interface piece" I see no way to attach the fan blade to the clutch as the hole positions are wildly different. Something is wrong or is missing. Is there an additional attachment piece between the clutch and the fan blade? Does anyone have any bright ideas?

Thanks for helping out a Noobie who had to start out with a car, an engine and gearbox and a box of bits.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Are you sure its an oem MITSU fan? All the fans I've seen from 87+ have plastic blades and they bolt directly to the water pump pulley.

Array
    Status
    usa
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55
    Ok then if the OEM fan was plastic then I guess the metal fan is not original. The strange thing is that on O'Reilly's computer it shows a metal fan....bizarre.
    Ok then I have two options. I have tried looking in the usual places and all that seems to be on offer are metal bladed fans or a complete electric one plus the associated thermal switch.
    Does anyone know where I can purchase the original plastic fan blade? Even ebay came up with nothing.
    P.S. I finally found where the bypass hose goes thanks to you guys. Dammit it was well hidden.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Am I the only one that sees that this is for a 2nd gen truck? Could a mod please move this to 2nd gen please?
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    usa
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55
    Thanks Dropped Mitsu. I really appreciate your help on this.
    However, The Mitsubishi / Dodge Foo Bird shone on me and I lucked out. I stumbled across a guy breaking a Mk 1 Mighty Max not 20 miles away and got the fan and the clutch for $25 !!!
    After scraping off 20 plus years of crud there was a pristine fan under there!
    I already have a brand new clutch so I am ready to go.
    If anyone is looking for MK 1 parts I may be able to help them. Not sure if it is 4WD or RWD though without further investigation.

Array
    Status
    usa
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55
    If anyone needs it I have a spare fan clutch that seems to be in good working order from what I assume is a 1st gen (has a carburetor) engine. I already have a brand new fan clutch so I installed that one.
    On the subject of whether my Mighty Max is first or second generation, mine is a 1990 model so when did the model type become Gen 2?

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    They changed body styles in 87. So 87+ is 2nd gen