Status
    Atlanta,GA
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

sound idea? mighty max towing a civic for 1000 miles

Hello guys,
    I have a 93 mighty max with 4g64 engine. Recently because of a job situation i may have to relocate to the north which is about 1000 miles away.... I am thinking of towing my civic with my mighty max. Just wondering if it is a sound idea. I am pretty sure it can tow, but 1000 miles is long....
    Here is some details about my mighty max:
    - Body pretty beat up, but mechanically sound.
    - Clutch replaced by myself at 160k miles, now it is at 190k miles. I only added 30K miles on the clutch. So it should not be a concern?
    - Tires are in good shape, only issue is the left rear tire is leaking very slowly. I may have to address that.
    - Engine has a new radiator, new timing belts(yes two belts, one for timing the other for balacing shaft), new water pump, new timing belt tensioner, new lifters, new camshaft seals, and new spark plugs.
    - Starts quickly everytime when i turn the key. It is reliable when i drive it for a 2 hour trip and come back.
    Concerns are:
    1. After I have done everything, everytime i start the engine, i notice a little water coming out of tail pipe, it is normal? Is this the so called condensation? Or water just find its way into block? Head gasekt? But it ran and drive fine.
    2. Leaking oil. Initially i thought it was the camshaft. I replaced the seal and polished the sealing surface on the shaft, but it is still leaking. Then I found the valve cover has a crack on the top, I replaced the valve cover with the one i got from junky yard..... I haven't drive it too much after the replacement. I am wondering, could it be the head gasket? or front case seal???? Or I just bring a few bottles of oil. Check oil level at every gas station and refill when necessary?
    3. Just notice that there is a bolt on exhaust manifold is broken off... I think it is not going to be a big deal for long distance driving....what you guys think?
    4. Towing capacity. From what i found, towing capacity on this truck is 3500lbs, weight of 1991 honda civic is about 2200lbs. The weight of tow dolly has to be taken into consideration as well, which i think may be 500lbs. Only by looking at figures, i think it's able to do it. Only concern is realiability.
    5. Trailer hitch attachement. Where to get one... How to install one, how much will it cost
    6. I am currently having wheel spacers. Do I have to remove them for long trip like this? I hear it's bad for wheel bearing and stuff...
    7. Backup plan. If it broke up on hwy. What kind of options do i have? Ditch the truck and drive my civic way? Then the civic have to be able to tow the tow dolly beause I will have to return it. AAA serivce is gonna help?

Thank you guys!

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I would call a automotive carrier service/ transporter. It should be around a few hundred one way from ga to ny.There are a million towing carrier services out there just call and get quotes.

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    The weight of the tow should not be as big of a concern as the ability to stop. If you have to panic stop, you will never stop in time. The chassis can handle the weight...the brakes not so much.

A GVWR tow rating of 3500 lbs includes the weight of your truck... I'm guessing your truck comes in at 28-2900lbs so a safe tow weight would only be 500-700lbs.

Do what you want but I would not recommend it. In hilly or mountainous terrain it would be foolhardy. Don't be on the evening news.

Array
    Status
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Edit-that would not be the GVWR, but the GCWR- the 'C' meaning combined tow vehicle and the vehicle being towed.

In any event, it would be unwise.

Array
    Status
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    I've towed a trailer all over the United States. I used fairly new vehicles your going to use a very old truck but if your going to do it and there was a time when I would too. Trailer brakes if available are the way to go. Drive slow don't worry about traffic you do not get so close to anything in front of you that you can't stop in time.plot your route ahead of time. Know where your off ramps are etc. lane changes in heavy traffic can be tricky. Take someone with you to navigate for you. That GPS is cool but a person can help

Array
    Status
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    Having trouble editing. Don't worry about traffic behind you don't follow so close you can't avoid hitting the car in front of you. I like to drive at night also if your driving trough areas of high rush hour traffic try to Tim it so you miss as much of that as possible.