Thread: 91 dodge ram 50 cylinder head swap?

Array
    Status
    Hawaii
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

91 dodge ram 50 cylinder head swap?

I have a 2.4l 91 dodge ram 50. Will a 2.0 cylinder head fit on my engine block? Will a 2.6 cylinder head fit on my engine block?

The reason I ask is because I can get a really good deal on a cylinder head, but the person selling it doesn't know what size engine it came off of or what year truck it cam off of. All they know is that it came off of a 4x4 dodge ram 50

Any help is greatly appreciated

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Post pictures of it. 2.6 has even spaced ports. A 2.6 head will not fit on a 2.0 or 2.4. Early 2.4s and 2.0s have paired ports. The intake ports on a 2.0 are 25mm diameter, the intake ports on a 2.4 are 28mm diameter.
    Last edited by noahwins; 08-02-2015 at 12:57 PM.

Array
    Status
    Hawaii
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    So a 2.0 head will fit on a 2.4 engine block?

I seen the head for sale. Thanks for the info. Noah
    The cylinder head turned out to be a 2.6L cylinder head. Thanks to your info. I knew it would not fit my 2.4 engine block. But I bought the cylinder head anyway because the seller told me it was just resurfaced and port and polished. The cylinder head looked great, but the best part was the price, it was only 30$.

I'll probably Re-sell the cylinder head later

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    2.0 heads fit the 6 bolt 2.4 block but the ports are smaller so it won't flow correctly and the combustion chamber is smaller, so it will raise compression. You could port match the 2.0 intake and exhaust ports to 2.4 gaskets if you wanted a higher compression head.

Does your 2.6 head have MCA jets (3rd valve in the combustion chamber)? I need a new one.

Array
    Status
    Hawaii
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Thanks for the info.

even if I put the correct exhaust manifold for the 2.0 head, will it still cause it to have high compression?

I'll look over my 2.6 cylinder head when I get a chance and I'll get back to you noah

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Unless you're building a hot engine from scratch and planning to "work" the head and enlarge the ports, don't mix heads and blocks. The 2.0 will never flow enough as is to keep up with the 2.4 and it will make anemic power and probably detonate.