Status
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D55-T

Another diesel Starion, 4d55

Copied over from the General Discussion forums:
    Life happens and haven't been here in a long while. I've gotten divorced, bought a house, bought another house, kids are older/need more attention, and now am buying a third house so will be moving again. Hopefully for good this time. Still have the diesel Raider, it's still out of comission due to rust, body swap is on order but time is the enemy. I recently picked up a 84 4x4 Ram50 diesel that is rusted beyond belief. When I get my phone repaired, I'll throw up some pics. When putting a lexus engine in the bed after I picked it up, the bed damn near flipped over and fell off. There is nothing holding the rear spring hangers on, hell the frame is completely missing on the rear of one side. It was bought purely for the engine. Being used all it's life on a cattle farm has not been entirely good for it. Starts up and runs well, leaks a little oil but that looks to be easily repaired with a valve cover gasket. Engine will be going into an 89 Conquest that has been abused and neglected, I call it the beater quest. I'll be poking around a little and will probably start a thread if I can get to the swap before the move, if not, expect a thread later this fall.
    So let's get started:
    Here's the rust bucket donor.

It's lived a hard knock life.

Oily, stinky, rattly, goodness.

All I got for now, started to tear it down but didn't get far. Busy getting my house ready to sale.

Kane

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    i just noticed the title lol, you will be the 3rd to the known existance of diesel starions! though first 4d55, other 2 are 4d56

Array
    Status
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D55-T
    I'd look forward to any tips and tricks you may have. My plan is to keep the fuel pump but swap it out with a diesel lift pump. Looks like older dodge will work, it has screw on fittings like ours. My diesel Raider has a similiar setup and it helps trememdously. Since I have the entire truck, I can also swap over the 6V glow plug system. Have a 3 inch exhaust system in the rafters of the garage so that part is taken care of. Downpipe is a little bit of a mystery. I have a stainless *DM (is that taboo around here too, lol) that I'll try to modify if the bolt pattern is the same. Have a non turbo intake on the way from down under to make FMIC routing easier. Speaking of diesel Raider, thinking of putting it up for sale.
    Kane

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    i picked up a universal diesel clicker pump at advance, the inline green pump, and put it in place of the stock pump, ran new wiring of course, it powers on with the ignition.
    make sure you remove the intake pickup screen, its to fine for the diesel, and replace the gas filter with a diesel filter.
    mine has 12v plugs, so i have my own 2 relays and button to power them.
    d56 alternator is on the passenger side with vac pump on back, 88 starion alt plug plugged right into it, but i had to extend the harness to go around the core support.
    vac pumps oil return to the pan lined up with my added return from my old 2.6's hx40 return

if its the td04 wastegated, the 3 bolt looks the same as the starion DP but turned like 30 degrees and to long.

im using the turbo non intercooled intake with the stock front mount, i made a tube off the intake. if you use the non turbo intake, make sure you cap the pcv nipple since itll blow boost lol

Array
    Status
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D55-T
    What did you do for oil pans? I'm pretty sure the 4x4 oil pan won't clear the starion crossmember. I ran into that trying to put a G54bt in my conquest that had been modded to fit a Montero.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    i used the conquest oil pan, and a front sump pickup for the 4d55, i presume it was for a 2wd truck?
    this is the guy i got it from, he usually have d55 parts pop up
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Mitsubi...3f8128&vxp=mtr