Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T

84 2.0 g63b

Looking for suggestions on this from someone who may have had the same issue.

Truck has 34,567 original miles

This is my first 2.0 gasser I work on as all my trucks have been diesels

Previous owner was a fuckin cheap ass redneck and drove it with the original coolant and I presume he overheated it.

I've driven it for 2500 miles and it started with a cold start misfire which smoothed out as she warmed up

The mis fire got worse and I had done a complete tune up with OEM parts. Plugs wire , cap, rotor , fuel filter, air filter etc

When I got the truck I had the whole cooling system flushed and rodded out the original radiator, runs cool as a cucumber

Went to start it the other day and it acted like it was hydra locking. Once started it was like a steam engine out the tail pipe. I shut it off again. Now there is water in the oil.

Anyone had a cracked head on one of these? Maybe just gasket? I'm going to tear it down to check but I'm afraid a rebuild of whole engine is in order thanks to the water or should I not worry since its just a little bit?

Sucks because the engine compartment still looks showroom new and now I'm going to be wrenching around

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Anyone had a cracked head on one of these?
    Something something search bar.

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    Smart ass

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4D55-T
    you think I will still pass smog if I get a non jet valve head?

Array
    Status
    El Paso, Tx
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I've cracked a head due to slight overheating. As long as it wasn't ran for a long time with the water in it, or it hasn't sat along time with the water then theres a good chance the bottom end will be okay.

Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Yeah you should still pass smog. The jet valves are bypassed on half the 2.0's still on the road anyways.
    To answer your original question, yes, many of us have experienced cracked heads. These motors are notorious for it. In fact, the jet valves themselves seem to be a large cause of it. Something about a steel slug expanding in a hot chunk of aluminium.
    I'm pretty sure rule number one with these motors is don't over heat them... haha
    Good luck and have fun with it. These trucks are addicting and there are many of us that'd kill for one with that low of miles.
    ~Mandle