Thread: Difference in Trans Output Shaft Size 1987 and 1988 D50 Sport Power Ram 4x4

Array
    Status
    columbus, oh
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Difference in Trans Output Shaft Size 1987 and 1988 D50 Sport Power Ram 4x4

Hi all,
    I just picked up a 1987 Dodge D50 Sport Power Ram 4x4. It's in pretty good shape with 110K. Black with gold stripes. The truck runs good but has major transmission issues. Third gear is out along with other problems...locks up at random. The seller threw in a spare transmission/transfer case out of an '88 4x4. I thought it would be an easy swap to get the old girl back on the road.

I proceeded to take out the gearbox and install the spare. Encountered no issues at all until I went to install the rear drive shaft. The yoke is just a little bit smaller than the output shaft in the '88 trans. The front shaft slides in with no problem.

I contacted the seller to see if he had the drive shaft but said it went to the boneyard along with the truck. Any ideas? I don't feel like messing with the internals. Rather like to purchase an '88 drive shaft yoke from someone here on the forum.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    If they are the same transmission they should have the exact same size output shaft. Only time they would be diff sizes from what I've seen is from Auto to manual driveshafts. Kind of odd.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    swap the transfer cases - they will interchange
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    columbus, oh
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking of doing if I can't get a yoke or find the driveshaft in the boneyard. Can I remove the transfer case with the tranny installed? I hate to pull that thing again! Here is a pic of the yoke that's too small.

2015-07-01_22-26-09_666.jpg