Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

Hello folks, lets go camping.

I am trying to get this little gem.
    DSCF3896.jpgDSCF3898.jpgDSCF3886.jpgDSCF3887.jpg
    It is listed as a 1980 D50.
    The VIN tag says it was manufactured in 1978.
    The coach builders tag says that it was converted in 1981.
    So that tag from the fire wall indicates it has a 2.6 if I understand correctly.
    Is that"XJI6" the block ID?
    The fellow told me that the engine is seized, so how hard is rebuild this engine?
    What are good engine swaps if this ones is too far gone. There is a 2.5 from a 98 Jeep with trans and wiring harness locally that I would consider. What are peoples thoughts on a swap like that?

Array
    Status
    Christchurch / New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4G63
    how much are you paying for it?

Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Chuck has a good questions. What's the inside of the camper like?
    A local machinist was explaining to me the differences between what he called a "new" and "old" version of the 2.6.
    While I don't fully understand the differences between the 4G54 (your motor) and the G54b (my motor), I do know they are very similar.
    I have a build thread going on this website that you can find through my profile or in the 1st gen section of the forums.
    I have a 2.6 I just tore down and did some minor alterations on. The block is relatively easy for an experienced machinist to rebuild. While you have it apart, look at bypassing things like your balance shafts and valve jets.
    For someone who was focused primarily on ford and newer Honda motors, I was thrown for a loop when I started disassembling my 2.6. Now that I've done so, I'm starting to appreciate these motors and I'd vote towards the rebuild, if plausible, over the swap.
    Keep looking for help if you do end up picking it up. There are several on this website I've found very helpful, along with some basic manuals and build ideas.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I hope it has a walk thru from cab to camper because I don't see a door anywhere. That would be pretty nice vacationer though.
    If the engine is seized, it is most likely a rod lower bearing and is welded it's self to the crank. Depending on how fast the motor was running when it locked up will determine the damage. You may get off easy with a new crank or turn the one in the truck and get some new bearings rods & pistons.
    The 2.6 are also good for a head crack and could of over heated and was too much for just the oil to keep it cool. If it has a 2.6, I would stick with the 2.6. Just repair the problem and put her back on the road.
    I can imagine that the camper is quite heavy for the 2.6 to haul around also and probably works pretty hard to do it.

Where are the license plates?
    I also have never seen a block identification like that. Jaguar has used that code though, but I really don't think that's a Jag motor, lol.
    Check your resale value on something like that. You don't want to spend more then the thing is worth, this is saying without knowing what the inside looks like. There can't be much room in there and probably maxes out with 2 people. Hopefully it also has a duel tank setup. A stock fuel tank would probably give you 150 to 200 miles with those incredible aerodynamics a camper has, lol.

Array
    Status
    Canada
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    He's asking for $1500 OBO, it's been listed for a while so I'm hoping he's really flexible.
    It was last plated in 2010. He got it from his boss.
    His boss told him the engine was seized. He told me the tail pipe was plugged up, so he freed that up and was able to fire it up. It ran for a little while in the parking lot then it seized up again.
    Yes it is a walk through and the door is on the rear passenger side. For it's age it seems pretty decent inside.
    DSCF3884.jpgDSCF3890.jpgDSCF3899.jpg
    I was thinking of using this for my paintball and car show trip instead of towing my tent trailer. So much less setup with the bonus of not having to run half way across a campground to use the washroom.

Array
    Status
    Canada
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    He is asking $1500 obo. It has been listed for a while so hoping he will be really flexible.
    DSCF3884.jpgDSCF3890.jpgDSCF3899.jpg
    Yes it is cab through and the coach door is on the rear passenger side.
    The story that I got is that the previous owner had it on the road in 2010 and at some time it seized. The fellow that has it now said he got it started and it ran for a while at idle then it seized up again.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    If that is a canadian D-50 - the 4g54 is a non-jet head 2.6, and may not even have a cat in the exhaust manifold or balance shafts. It is still similar to the G54b, but the specs and settings are different. Look in the manual section for the 1980 D-50 manual - it will give you all the differences. Cool find, but even with it running again, don't expect this to be a powerhouse with all that weight on the back - welcome to the forum!
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Canada
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I'm not looking to make any cross country speed records.
    I know my 18yr old son would love it if I'd hotrod it from the start with a 340.
    He jokes about lighting up the duallies at the burnout contest during Moparfest some year.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    lol, Your son sounds like a handful.
    Looks like it needs a little work, but I'm sure if you like camping it would be a great thing. Sure looks like it has been sitting under a tree for a while by the droppings under the hood there. Hope you can get him to lower the price for you. You'll need the extra cash to bring it back to life.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    appears to have dual rear wheels?

Array
    Status
    Canada
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Yes, it has a dually rear setup.

Array
    Status
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    I also have never seen a block identification like that.
    Do look into that "X"! Way back in the early 80's there was an old but running well VW engine just like all the other VW engines by appearances but it had an "X". There was an ancient man who worked on VWs all his life that was the only one in town that knew that "X" meant something extremely special - those engines were the 'best'... something about them being made different or maybe where they were made... there was something extremely special about them - WISH I COULD REMEMBER WHAT! Sucks to be older & forget.

But to the buyer: it's worth researching to find out!

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    welcome to the board, did you buy the camper

Array
    Status
    Canada
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I was supposed to pick it up tomorrow, but sadly my buddy that was going to tow it back for me is unable to do it tomorrow. Hopefully it works out next weekend an I can finally get it home.

Array
    Status
    Canada
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    WooHoo, got it home yesterday!
    Hopefully we'll get some unseasonably warm weather so I can really see what else I will need to get done other than dealing with an engine rebuild or swap.

Array
    Status
    EVERETT,WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    That will clean up nice! Camping in a small camper is fun. I have a VW Vanagon poptop. You get used to going slow and enjoying the scenery. I would love something like that. Good Luck with the rebuild.

Array
    Status
    Canada
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Snow, snow go away I want to work on my truck.
    That the one bad thing about it being a motorhome, it won't fit in my garage.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    EVERETT,WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Any updates on your Camper D50?

Array
    Status
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    That thing looks fun, welcome to the forums.

Array
    Status
    Canada
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Ok, so insanity took hold.
    I bought a 318 with an A904 transmission from a 69 Charger.
    It'll be a Double D50.
    Lots of property clean up needed to be done so have not gotten to work on the camper.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    stay insane...no strain on the brain. looking forward to the pics...best of luck with the build.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    think a starion swap would be cooler! a Camper with a BOV PSSSSS lol