Array
    Status
    Mira Loma, Ca
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Just bought 87 Power Ram 4x4

Hey everybody! I'm new here and just bought an 87 Power Ram 50 4x4 with the 2.6 G54B. The previous owner said it had low compression in two of the cylinders so I've pulled out the engine, while its out I was wondering what I could do for more power. I originally was just going to rebuild it but I've seen here that I can swap in the Starion turbo engine, could I get my engine rebuilt with the Starion internals and then add the the manifolds and turbo or are the completely different engines? Also I've seen mentions of a V6 swap, does anyone know which engines will fit without having to change the 4x4 (k145) transmission? I originally wanted to do a 4G63 swap but I have the wideblock.

Array
    Status
    Gerber, CA
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Overall, the block is the same, save for some piston oil squirters.

I bought a turn-key Starion-repowered 88 Max and really enjoyed the power and turbo whistle after driving my 87 Raider for so long. As I didn't do the conversion, I can't lend any advice for the actual work, but can say the benefits are tremendous...especially the FI.

Russell

Array
    Status
    Mira Loma, Ca
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ok, cool. I mainly asked because I also have 2.5L 99 Ford Ranger and the lack of power on that one frustrates me haha. I have looked into swapping the 4g63t into these trucks so I'm sure the swap would

Array
    Status
    Mira Loma, Ca
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    ... Be similar as far as finding the wiring harness, ecu, intercooler and other turbo components. I'm just was curious about the actual engine components. I'm sure your truck is a lot of fun with the extra power, I'm not looking to get too much HP just about 200

Array
    Status
    Mira Loma, Ca
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    So I've been looking for the v6 (6G72) swap option and have noticed that most trucks that swapped it in were 89+, did the transmissions change in those years?

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    if you go the turbo 2.6 option, you can use the carb bottom end, though its 8:1 flat top pistons (turbo is dished 7:1) and lacking the oil squirters. at stock boost its fine, 15 max on the na bottom end
    you can use the NA head as well, however the turbo exhaust valves are stelite if i remember right. Make sure you use a turbo distributor though or the vac advance wont retard the timing.

swap wise, engine harness, ignitor, coil, ecu, fuel pump, MAF, pretty much all you need

since you are a 2.6 you also have the option of 2.3/2.5TD swap though it wont be fast lol