Array
    Status
    Atl, GA
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Oil Consumption

I haven't really noticed too much smoke, but my oil smells like gas and it ticks a lot if I don't keep it topped off. I still do a change about every 2-3 months just to keep it clean, but it's still consuming more than it should, and when I drain the pan it always seems pretty black to me. I'm still getting around 26 mpg with it, and I haven't noticed any real loss in power since I got it, but it's burned oil since I got it, so hey that's redundant.

Just want to get some opinions on the scale of repairs.

2 questions:

I'm assuming a compression test would be the first order of business, but what will this tell me exactly?

And is it possible to check the condition of the seals/rings from the top down, i.e. removing the cover and rocker arm assembly, or does the whole head have to come apart?

I'm still a novice, but so far the repairs I've done myself have been pretty easy due to the simplicity of the design, so I'm just weighing my options.

It's a '94 2.4l with 136,000 miles on it.

Thanks

Array
    Status
    El Paso, Tx
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    A leak down test would be better, but it may not tell you anything. A leak down test will tell you the condition of your head gasket, valve seats, and your top compression ring. It can pass with flying colors but still burn oil due to either leaky valve stem seals, bad valve guides, or bad oil control rings on the pistons.

Valve guides can be checked by removing the valve spring and seeing if the valve has excessive play inside the guide.

Oil control rings....have to be removed and inspected to determine their condition. (Requires dis-assembly of entire engine.)

Array
    Status
    Atl, GA
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Ok thanks for the info.

I don't have an air compressor so I'd have to take it to a shop for the leak down test, but in the mean time, any recommendations on a decent compression gauge? The autozone/advanced rental gauges have terrible reviews.

I am also wondering if a leaking injector can cause the same symptoms? How do I test this?

And also, when I got the truck I switched to synthetic mobile 1 oil. I run 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter. I have read that mob1 burns quicker than other oils. Is this true?