Thread: Is it worth it to remove the balance shaft?

Array
    Status
    OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Is it worth it to remove the balance shaft?

Hey everyone, I have an 86' ram 50 sport 2.6 and im replacing almost all but the bottom end. i already have a BS chain and bearings to fresh it up. You can lose smoothness of the engine but can gain a smidge of power because less weight. WHAT SHOULD I DO?? i hear theres 3 and 6 piece removal kits. Which ones the right way to remove the BS???

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Engine builder that did my short block said leave em in. Small performance gain for a wobbly engine. He did SCCA race car engines as a rule.

If you do Main Bearings, have the BS bearings done. Wouldn't hurt to get it line-bored first.

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Leave them in as long term the motor won't last. Also I would highly recommend pulling them for inspection as the balancer bearings are the main culprit for oil pressure loss! Most people ignore those and wonder why they loose the motor

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    And when it goes, so does a chunk out of the side of the block usually. Seen more than one failed that way, and a "reweld" of one.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Don't eliminate them unless you balance the motor - then the motor won't tear itself apart. The main reason to eliminate them is to reduce rotating mass - a lighter flywheel is a much better way to achieve that goal.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Portland Oregon
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    If the oil pressure is normal is it safe to assume all is well with the balancer shaft bearings?

Quote Originally Posted by mikewarme View Post
    Leave them in as long term the motor won't last. Also I would highly recommend pulling them for inspection as the balancer bearings are the main culprit for oil pressure loss! Most people ignore those and wonder why they loose the motor

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    you can get the balance shaft elimination kit here. it has everything you need.

http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/product2403.html
    Last edited by PowerRam348; 01-29-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Array
    Status
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerRam348 View Post
    you can get the balance shaft elimination kit here. it has everything you need.

http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/product2403.html
    my balance shaft is bent I think. it looks like the shaft itself inside the motor has been hitting something on the block. and someone told me to do an eliminator kit and get rid of it. but is there any way that i can balance the motor after taking the thing out? or what should i do to make my truck run. the thing is bent so it keeps throwing timing chains. and how do i take out the shaft from the block to inspect it? would the balance be that bad to just get the truck running for a awhile and i can save up for a motor?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    If you want to balance it you need a machine shop. Pull the crank, rods, rod caps, rod bearings, pistons, and flywheel, bring them those parts and tell them to balance it. Then stick it all back together. Mark the parts with a paint pen, you don't want to mix them up. Thats the cheep way. The only other options you have is to rebuild the hole thing, OR replace it with another engine, OR put in the kit and see how long she will go. If you want to know more about what a machine shop does, look in my build thread under the secrete world of the machine shop. But no matter what way you go, it will always come down to the money.
    You can always try to replace the shaft, but then the hole engine will go to the machine shop. Sometimes it doesn't work out.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Fayetteville, TN
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63

My First post

Yes, It is worth. I don't know by how many ponies but, the most common numbers thrown around are anywhere from 7-15 HP depending who you ask. I am gonna go safe and say 5-7 hp. This thread has all the reasons you shouldhttp://www.4g63turbo.com/tech/eclips...t-removal.html

Array
    Status
    Michigan
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    Any one no of any other place to find the kit parts dinosaur is going out of business & no longer has them

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    google the parts names and that can help a lot if your able to order stuff online. For stock parts locating, I use a Mitsubishi ASA program which is the same program a dealer parts department uses to locate part numbers, inventory stock and such. I'm not on a Mitsubishi network so stock inventory is not available. Once I get the part numbers, I just put these number into google and Whalaaa, parts start to come out of the woodwork that you may of thought never existed. If I had to, I bet I can build an entire 2.0 or 2.6 engine with 95% OEM parts just by using this parts numbers search process.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    You can make a BSE stub shaft out of the existing balance shaft (cut it off and weld the hole shut), rotate the right side bearings (to be used as block-offs), and get a plug from just about anywhere. Some people order the OEM plug - others use a freeze plug, some even stick the right side shaft back in and leave the belt off (I've seen it all).