Array
    Status
    sylacauga, alabama
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

no fire on 88 ram 50

been having trouble with weber carb flooding. truck wanting to stall at stops. worked on carb, checked for vacuum
    leaks then put carb back together. When I try to restart truck I find I have no fire! I have changed out coil, checked
    to confirm rotor is turning. Not sure what to do next. Any help would be appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    First thing to do is check timing, spark and fuel. Can you post up some pictures of the engine.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    If your Weber is a 32/36 DGEV mounted with the fuel float bowl towards the rear, the stumbling/stalling on medium/hard braking is a known issue we just learn to live with and mitigate with gentler braking more in advance of an expected stop whenever possible.

Under braking, the fuel in the bowl still has forward momentum, so with the bowl at the rear, braking causes a slight surge of fuel into the intake resulting in a rich-condition stumble/stall. Sometimes raising the idle a bit can mitigate this, but that may also cause a bit of run-on "dieseling" after you shut off the engine.

It's possible to mount the DGEV with the bowl in front, but this complicates throttle cable routing, as the cable would then need to approach the carb from the intake side, rather than from the exhaust side as stock. Some have handled this by simply flipping over the cable bracket/guide on the firewall, and then bending the guide tube up a bit to help the cable housing clear the brake booster/cylinder.

The mirror-image DFEV carb eliminates those problems, as it can be mounted with the bowl in front and receive the cable approaching from the exhaust side as stock. However, DFEVs are harder to find and tend to cost a fair bit more, so the better availability and cheaper price of a DGEV is worth the compromises for many (including myself). Having the bowl in front causes a slight lean condition on braking and going steeply downhill, and a slight rich condition on hard acceleration and going steeply uphill, which is all preferable to the inverse which occurs when the bowl is at the rear.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    sylacauga, alabama
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    It is a standard mitsubishi 2.6 with a weber 32/36 carb

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    There are two different Weber 32/36 carbs, the DFEV and DGEV, which are laid out as mirror-images of each other. If your carb is mounted with the fuel line fittings and float bowl towards the rear, that could explain the stumbling/stalling issue on braking that you described.

The DFEV is rarer to find and thus usually more expensive, but it's simple to mount with the float bowl in front and stock throttle cable routing coming at the carb from the exhaust side of the engine bay.

The DGEV and is easier and cheaper to obtain and can be mounted with the float bowl in front, but this orientation requires some tinkering to re-route the throttle cable to come at the carb from the intake side of the exhaust bay.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")