Status
    NW mississippi yall
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Dodge V8

AUTO swap.. 3spd to 4spd Q's

Hey.. Plans changed yet AGAIN.
    It's back to the ram50 no matter if he likes the mirrors or not (i did wonder if later year max's and 50's doors will swap..?)

SO, I'm going to swap the later 88 2.6 back in and BUT wanting to swap in an AUTO TRANS from a '89 Quest or an '87 max (I have two)
    Which would be the better trans?
    Now, how hard would it be to attempt this?
    Is it a bolt in and shorten the shaft OR..?

The truck is a '86 Ram50 sport. 2.6 wide block, stock 3spd auto, 3.54 gear 14" wheels. (just to clarify)

Errol

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The 89 quest may be the better trans especially if it is from the intercooled TSI. The tranny crossmember may be different, besides the front shaft length. You will need the auto shifter - the neutral safety switch plugs into a connector under the carpet, just remove the jumper for the manual bypass. You also need to fashion a kickdown linkage on your carb if its a weber, flexplate from either tranny will bolt right up, and add a tranny cooler if your rad doesn't have one. Level 10 makes a shift kit for the tranny if you really want it to survive harsh conditions. The 3spd flexplate may work with the 4spd auto torque convertor - if not there is someone on here that is eager to buy one. The starter may be different - check manual on teeth count and if gear reduction or not.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    NW mississippi yall
    Vehicle

Engine

Dodge V8
    Ya know, it might be a 87 quest trans.. I tried emailing them on the 200r4's and they didn't seem like they really wanted to sell stuff except torque converters. I'll try again..
    I've forgotten about it for a while, now need to dig it out and flush it.

....Just got on the site and don't show a shift kit per se, but MAN, they like their $tuff.

Why won't I be able to just use the floor shifter in the '86?
    I mean, the "drive" notch is drive notch on the trans.. I'll never go into 1st and manually shift the thing.
    And the T.V. cable only shifts down 1 gear right?

E

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    you would have to add a switch for the o/d on / off. 87 quest tranny is still stronger than the truck tranny - same internals as the nissan 300z car. If the shift points match notch for notch with the important functions of the tranny, then go for it. Remember, you wouldn't manual shift it, but your son is driving it...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    NW mississippi yall
    Vehicle

Engine

Dodge V8
    So, was kinda brain stormin and thought of making an adapter of some sort that can connect my 1/2" drill to flush the converter after I change the filter/screen/gasket.
    Does anyone know which line is the out and in?

Thanks again.
    E