Array
    Status
    Carlisle, PA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

EEK a LEAK!!!

So now that that is out of my system, I do need some help locating a leak. I have an oil leak somewhere on the intake side towards the back of the engine. I know this because when i let it sit for days i get a puddle underneath the engine right in the center where the transmission and engine meet. I do not believe it is a rear main seal because the leak starts above and leaks down around the engine, but its below the intake. Is there any tricks of the trade to locate the damn leak? I'm one more try away from tearing the distributor and intake off to find the damn thing. I checked everywhere i could think and cannot locate the origin of it, however it is very hard to see in around there also.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Array
    Status
    El Paso, Tx
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    There is no where for oil to leak from where your describing, besides the head gasket but the oil feed is on the exhaust side of the head. If i had to guess i'd say valve cover or the half moon plug on the back of the head.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Sounds about right. Valve cover gaskets are tough to keep sealed on these engines and you can't see behind the head without a mirror. It'll leak back there and run down the back of the head and over the tranny. Reach back there when it's cold and see if you get an oily hand from the back of the cylinder head.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Clean things up with some Brake Cleaner around the suspect area and trace it back...

Array
    Status
    Carlisle, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    yeah, i suspected that but last time i looked back there it was dry, i'll have to take a look again now that its cool to the touch. i might have to clean it up and then trace it again, its so hard to trace because its been leaking for a while and its all gunked up under there, definitely going to have to clean it up a bit.

Array
    Status
    Carlisle, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by LSR Mike View Post
    Clean things up with some Brake Cleaner around the suspect area and trace it back...
    Also, will the brake cleaner eat through the rubber tubes that are all over my carb if it ends up getting on them or no worries?

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Test, but no it shouldn't unless they are in bad shape, in which case they should be replaced anyway... but don't get stranded. and of course, there is always, GUNK degreaser. I've cleaned up a couple of motors...

Array
    Status
    Carlisle, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Yeah i'm pretty busy the next two weeks with both my jobs so i doubt i'll get to it for a couple weeks now. but i'll take alook around the hard cover and make sure the half circle thing is sealing tight enough. I've had problems with that thing before.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Im sure there's an additive you can get to put in the engine oil that glows under a blacklight. It's made for finding those hard to find leaks.

Array
    Status
    Carlisle, PA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    there is an idea.