Thread: I guess sometimes more is better???

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

I guess sometimes more is better???

Hi again, well I have been going at my Ram for about a week give or take a couple of days, I have found a few more issues with her than I am letting my wife know about, but oh well, what she does not know...

Anyway, I bought filters, air, oil and fuel, and oil to do an oil change, that went without a hitch, oil looked pretty bad so it had to be done, then air filter and pcv, done. Next was the fuel filter, and this is where I was confused... I bought the part at Auto Zone, and I could not find where it was located, after looking thru here I found it, rail next to tank correct?

But, oh, and people never cease to amaze me, there wasn't a filter there. I mean I do not know the reasoning behind what was in the gas line, I will rather show you before I say anything more...20150430_194513.jpg20150430_194531.jpg20150430_205504.jpg20150430_205515.jpg...

So, I figured maybe the mechanical pump was bad? I unplugged this electric one and the truck kept running, I made sure it was not from fuel on the line.

I guess the PO decided that he rather have a pump than a filter? I figured that is why I couldn't tune the Mikuni any better... I mean it was always running too rich, always smelled of gasoline, and always a cloud of smoke at start up that smelled like my garage was a gas station...

I do not know if that is exactly where the filter goes, but is late and I will have another go at it tomorrow, I installed the filter there to not leave an open fuel line leaking gas into a container. The fuel pump is running fine, and I will have a go at adjusting the carb once again tomorrow. Luckily I have a free afternoon from my second job.

I found out I have a muffler issue, more like a whole "cat back" issue, anybody here in Las Vegas know a decent and honest :o muffler guy? They all seem waaaay proud of their work and like to charge an arm and a leg for muffler work. I do need pipe muffler and tailpipe. Or I will buy a muffler from Auto Zone and pipe and borrow my friend's welder, I'm not the best welder but I will give it a go if needed.

Also I need to replace the center support for the rear axle,20150430_194827.jpg but I will do that along with the universal joints. At a later time.

Anyway, just wanted to vent a little about people being dumb, and maybe get a little advice on the muffler shop.

She is coming along just fine, my wife named her Borreguita (little lamb). So that will be her name from now on.

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    the portion that does not have a wire to it is an aftermarket fuel filter (aka- the thingy that looks like a top hat with a penis sticking out)

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Well, I got home yesterday and decided to work on Borreguita some more. Went to start her up and smoke once again filled my garage. Smelled of gasoline. Sucks.

Then something new, sitting inside the truck i saw gray smoke out the tail pipe. I think I might be screwed if its rings and stuff. At first i figured valve stem seals. But now I don't know.

I might get away from smog if i register as a classic vehicle in Nevada, maybe that way I can save up for a rebuild. She runs very very nice but smoke comes out the tailpipe. Just my luck.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I live here and build custom cars for a living. Most exhaust shops around here do really shit work for a big price. I'm not "proud" of my work in that I charge a fortune, but my work isn't cheap. I can build a custom exhaust system for you, but it isn't just for stock replacement. It's for performance and it all has a Lifetime Warranty.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks Merrill. I will make sure and swing by your shop. I rather patronize a fellow owner than Midas hehe. PM me the shop's address. As soon as i have a movement permit i will stop by.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Cool

Well. My rockauto order came in, 20150504_154643.jpgalso picked up two matching shifter knobs just for the fun of it 20150504_154016.jpg20150504_154025.jpg

Also, went to the DMV this morning, and found out I do not have to smog my truck! I can register as classic vehicle. Only catch is I can't drive over 5000 miles a year, guess I have to find where that speedo cable is

Just a quick update, going to the JY tomorrow to look for goodies.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Junk Yard score!!!20150505_105055.jpg20150505_105101.jpg Went to pick a part today, and found a 91. Aside from the door panels which I needed and I will do a before and after (they need to be painted) I also found a pretty decent stock muffler. I know is not a performance one, but for now and on my budget it will do. I paid 24.50 for it. as you can see in the second picture is complete with the hanging rubbers and all. It took me all of 20 minutes to install. That was because I had to saw off the rusted bolts that held the one that was on the truck, a little elbow grease and voila! The one i picked up at the JY had both sides of the flange since they cut off the Cat and it was easy, the bolts weren't rusted and it was an easy install.

For now, the muffler issue is solved until I save to go see Merrill for a performance one.

Tonight, or this afternoon rather, I will tackle the door panels and the driver side window, I had to get a elevator? The part that makes it go up and down? I will do that so I can roll my window rather than letting it drop and pull up and hold with a folded sheet of paper. As my wife says, "baby steps" I only have so much time off in a week after all.

More to come later

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    grab the speedo out of the 91 and swap it out for 6 months with the regular one - that way you can drive it more.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Pennyman, that is a great idea, i will go back monday morning and see mileage on the 91

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    that doesn't matter, as you will put the original in when you have it inspected and a little bit to show a change in mileage.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    true... I had a moment... You are right of course.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I do not know if my ignition coil is bad now, I mean, I went to install a tachometer that I had laying around, and found out that it was hooked up backwards. Does it damage the coil to be hooked up that way?

Also, I went to ask at Auto Zone, and even Meyers here in Las Vegas, and they want almost 80 dollars for a coil!!! So Ebay time it is, and found one for like 12 bucks. Hopefully it will work ok. The one i ordered already has the resistor on it, so i will change the whole thing out when I get it. Of course pictures will be posted. The coil on the truck now is a canister type, and the one I keep finding even at AZ is more like a typical transformer type, the square one, with a base and everything already on it.

Anyway, more updates to come later, I did replace the window regulator, it took me maybe 20 minutes and now my window works

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Update... is not good. I think that I have an issue with spark. I got new NGK spark plug wires, followed the diagram and firing order. 1342. After i installed them I tested by pulling each one out and I started on 4. Number two didnt make a difference I tried an old wire, same thing. I will see if im getting spark later today, i also got a new dizzy cap and rotor. And I also ordered the correct coil.

What can it be? She still runs rough, rougher when i pull the wires but since two isnt making a difference im thinking im in for big money now. I might have to park it or something.