Thread: Brand spanking NEW non-jet valve cylinder head!

Array
    Status
    Hollywood, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

Brand spanking NEW non-jet valve cylinder head!

Hello everyone! So im thinking about getting a new cylinder head with valve guides and seats installed, and then i will put in new valves. Can i throw in the new valvez and go? Or do i need to do some sort of machining to the seats?

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    You'll have to at least lap the valves in with some lapping compound. I would avoid Odessa and Clearwater cylinder heads in Florida, they will rip you off

Array
    Status
    Hollywood, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Thats what I was thinking, thanks for the response. And a BIG thanks for the warning!

Array
    Status
    Shreveport, LA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Hi, I don't mean to steal a thread, but I was wondering, does Odessa make bad cylinder heads? Because that is exactly where I was thinking of ordering a head for my G63B. The head I was thinking about getting is 280 bucks, shipped. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places but I can't seem to find one much cheaper than that.

The truck has 234k on it, it was overheated and the head had an obvious crack between one set of valves, so instead of trying to repair the old head, I figured I'd look for a new one.

Array
    Status
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Odessa cylinder heads is the name Clearwater came up with when they had run there name into the ground. Google Odessa or Clearwater cylinder head review and see what comes up

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Here's the skinny on them.... they're Chinese heads. It's hit or miss with them. I'd definitely suggest that they have no quality control being practiced at all, and even less verified by the seller. I have seen the sellers inventory here in Vegas (who sells the same chinese heads) and they looked good to go.

Point is, don't expect an OEM quality head out of the box. All the shit reviews are from people pissed off about getting a head that wasn't QC'd. This of it this way, one bad review wipes out 10 good ones. Most good reviews don't exist because people LOVE to complain when they thin they were done wrong, but rarely say something was good when it actually was.

Take your chances with open eyes to make probable disappointment less of a shock.