Array
    Status
    Atlanta,GA
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

93 mighty max 2wd rear axle seal leaking

My mm has been an fantastic truck for me. But around two year ago I always noticed the rear passager side wheel is always Covered with oil. Recently I realized its a sign of axle seal leaking.....I was so sad I almost cried. This truck means a lot to me. I even have a spare engine and tranny for it.

So how much it would cost if I ask shop to fix it. Probably $$$??

If I want to do it myself what do I have to pay attention to? I'm pretty handy and I worked a lot on my civic. But I have no experience in repairing solid axle seal. What kind of tools to I need? I know I probably have to make a steel plate as a puller. What else? Hub puller ? Bearing separator ? I'm saving up for harbor freight now.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I would guess around 300 with new bearings and seal for both of them.
    The bearing is the hardest part. A long tube and a press.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the rear axle seal is not a bad job; the tough part is replacing the axle bearing on the shaft - you may need a machine shop to remove / replace the bearing. The axle shaft is held on with the 4 big bolts through the backing plate. remove those, and the axle shaft should pull out of the axle without problems. then separate the bearing from the axle shaft, replace the seal, press on the new bearing, and reassemble and fill the axle. Drain the axle first to minimize the mess - the oil probably needs changed anyways. There is a plug that is supposed to unscrew to change the fluid, but you can also use the same pump you use to fill the axle to drain it. Stick with regular 80 / 90W gear oil - otherwise you run the risk of the other seals leaking because the synthetic gear lube is a more consistent viscosity and will run through the old seals.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980