Thread: I have now owned my '85 Dodge Ram 50 for 1.5 hours and already have a question

Array
    Status
    Seatac, WA USA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

I have now owned my '85 Dodge Ram 50 for 1.5 hours and already have a question

First, Although I don't know anyone here yet, I want to thank everyone who put together and contributes to this forum--these places are the about the best information resource any owner can have. Hopefully, I will eventually know enough that I can contribute.

A little background: I bought my '85 Dodge D50 this afternoon. It supposedly has only 136k miles. It's 4wd with the 2.6 liter engine and a 5 speed. I just needed a little truck to use while I am restoring my '71 240z. It's completely stock, beige in color, has almost no rust (amazing) and runs well, although that brings me to my question--the truck was idling fine (under 1000) until, on the way home from buying it, I bought and installed a new air cleaner, since the old aircleaner was incredibly old and dirty. Immediately after install, the idle speed shot up to maybe over 2000 rpm and the engine would "diesel" for about 6 seconds when shut off. This is occurring with the engine fully warmed up.

I googled some info off the web and what I found was is I should use the SAS-2 screw to adjust the idle speed, but the info I found seemed incomplete and maybe not for my D50.

Apologies if the answer to this issue has already been put on this forum--I did not find it.

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    welcome! this thread may be helpful:

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...-for-smog-Help

Array
    Status
    Casa Grande, AZ
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Welcome as well! If you look where the throttle linkage is hooked up you should find the main idle adjustment screw you can back it off a little 1/8 turn at a time try that. Does it have a Mikuni carburetor still, or has it been replaced with a Webber. When I got my truck it would (diesel) sometimes for up to a minute(no joke) its annoying. Had my buddy who knows what he's doing fully adjust my carb ( air fuel mixture) but engine has probably 400k on it so when warm would still (diesel), got into the habit of stalling the engine when I shut it off. Lots of knowledgeable gouy on here hopefully someone can help you .

Array
    Status
    Seatac, WA USA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks Rusted--I will try that out today.

Array
    Status
    Seatac, WA USA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    THAT was the thread I've been looking for. Hopefully, my fix won't be as complex as what Waybux had to do. :-)