Status
    Casa Grande, AZ
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

opinions please

Hey Everybody!
    I'm here to ask a very important question, but first a little story! About 2 years ago I purchased a 1981 Plymouth Arrow pickup for $200 a little front end damage, I.E. bumper bent to hell and half a grille, taillights need new lenses and bed/tailgate rusted out, (no other rust on truck) body and frame relatively straight! I bought it for the purpose of just going to home improvement store and garbage dump. I didnt want to put too much into it i didn't really care about it! Well after new carb (webber of course) started driving a bit more especially after my other car broke down. Put new starter and tires after my friend gave me a set of mag wheels for it, (only have 2 out of 4 mags on it currently) decided i like the truck because it is very fun and reliable for being a beater. Then my son asked if he ciould use it or borrow it or something... blablabla so he could get from one class at college to another on seperate campuses so me being a pushover says sure (never a good idea when your kid is a 19 year old know it all with positively 0 mechanical abliity though i tried to teach it to him).

Lets just say I'm the fool, I admit it. He called me the other day and tells me the truck is overheating, 50 miles from Flagstaff AZ from about 30 miles south of Phoenix. About 150 miles, ok no problem just fill with water and get you butt to Flagstaff and don't drive it till i can get there to replace the radiator (developed a small pinhole leak). SO he calles me and tells me its at a repair shop 3 miles up the road .... and there is a knocking from the engine( long story i know), well as it turns out brainiac had it 3 quarts low on oil duh its knocking. So i play fetch coulda just left it but i want the salvage.

What to do what to do? I've located a perfect bed and tailgate NOS tailight lenses other misc but now i don't have a decent engine should i get another 2.0?
    My friend offered me a chevy 454 c.i. engine with tranny for free (he's convinced we can make it fit even if its drag racing only) not a bad idea but hella expensive for the whole mod, or could put a 4.3 litre v6 , 4.7 v8 , 5.3 v8. but even the mods for the v6 will cost. I do like the small v6 or small v8 idea though

just looking for opinions wanna do it on the cheap cant afford to go all out

now if i can just figure out how to get pictures from my phone to my computer i'll be uploading soon

George the guy with the (Broken) Rusted Arrow

Array
    Status
    arizona
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    What transmission did your truck have? I'm in mesa an have spare 2.0 and 2.6 engines just laying around, they might work, but all of that depends on your transmission combination, manual or automatic?

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Consider a 318. Plentiful in the yards, cheap, powerful, they fit pretty well from what I gather. These trucks came with a smaller form factor Torqueflite. There are a few pics of those swaps on here, they mostly look very cleanly done and they don't look out of place in the engine bay. I'm not a V8 guy but if I did a swap, it would be a 318. Also that would keep it technically all Mopar, which has to count for some style points.

Check out Fordubishi's 302 swap thread, too. Very nicely done.

SBF and SBM seem to tuck right in with a little work.

Array
    Status
    Casa Grande, AZ
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    The truck has a 5 speed manual with a 2.0L engine you can P/M me with price i may just be interested, I do like having a dependable work truck rather than having a racecar though the fuel milege of current 2.0 is only about 15mpg

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    if you go 318, use a 904 or a500 - they are the closest to the "baby"904 these trucks could have in them. You may have to mod the tranny tunnel since your truck is a manual tranny.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    well, assuming its the narrow block 2.0, you have a few choices
    you could keep the 4 cyl setup, and get a 4g63 from a turbo eclipse and swap it all over, you would gain power and get better gas mileage
    or you could get a 2.6 wideblock trans
    then swap a turbo 2.6 from a starion/conquest into it, or a 2.6 carb, or a 2.3l 4d55 diesel, or as i am running a 2.5l 4d56

or go a completely different route with a v8 or v6 lol

Array
    Status
    Casa Grande, AZ
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    I would like to thank everyone who gave their opinion on the matter of what engine I should put into my little Plymouth arrow After discussing with my friend and also mechanic, I've decided to go with a major upgrade. No its not a v8, I've decided the truck will get a newer EFI setup hoping to go turbo. Just found a whole can with a 4g63 6 bolt DOHC turbo on C/L hopefully it is still available next weekend when I'll have the funds and time to get it

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I've got a fuel injected turbo option for you that's way more interesting and way less work to fit than a 4G63T.