Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

New guy in Las Vegas

Hi,

I recently became the owner of a 1987 Ram 50 Sport. Its a little rough around the edges, but in good shape overall. Good body, engine needs a little TLC but I think I can manage. Anyway, I live in Vegas which means virtually no rust on this beauty. I think this one is for keeps, been going trhu a rough patch with trucks lately (long story). I will try and post some pictures today, of the truck and the horrible spark plugs that came with it

Basically I got a good deal for the truck, I traded a small car that I did not need for it. It was running rough yesterday when the guy brought it over, I am never one to back down from a challenge, so I decided why not, let's trade. Value of the car was about equal so we went "even trade".

Today, after work I decided to stop by the auto part store, some things have to be bought there. So i picked up a set of NGK's for it. Gap them, and went to work.
    There was so much oxidation on the plugs it was running with that I do not know how that engine managed to keep going. Anyway, swapped them out, and it runs a little better. Tomorrow I will start on vac hoses and all the electrical I can manage.

I saw some pictures earlier of two barrel carbs, mine has a small carb, I mean is a two barrel but it looks small, I never had one of these trucks. More pictures coming tomorrow. My question is this, how hard is to do a carburator kit? I have done some GM carbs in the past, and a couple of Holleys, just dont want to get in too deep here.

Anyway, this is me, Pedro, in Las Vegas, I will do my best to attach photos, what few I have, and more to come later on.

20150422_160144.jpg20150422_160208.jpgIMG-20150421-WA0000.jpgIMG-20150421-WA0002.jpg

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Is that the one I saw on Sin City's Parts on FB?

Welcome BTW. There's a bunch of us here in Vegas.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Tanks for the welcome. I don't know, he says he has one for parts, that might have been the one. I think I made a mistake and thought I had a 2.0l and now i think is a 2.6l. It is the 4X4 and somewhere under the hood i read 155? Here is some engine bay pics... 20150422_180407.jpg20150422_180413.jpg

Array
    Status
    Casa Grande, AZ
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    greetings welcome to the forum i'm also new but like it here, I tried to rebuild a stock carb and really failed ended up buying a webber, iI reccomend getting the mikuni rebuild advise from someone who's done it and succeeded

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by pedroelmalo73 View Post
    Tanks for the welcome. I don't know, he says he has one for parts, that might have been the one. I think I made a mistake and thought I had a 2.0l and now i think is a 2.6l. It is the 4X4 and somewhere under the hood i read 155? Here is some engine bay pics... 20150422_180407.jpg20150422_180413.jpg
    Welcome!...its a 2.6 (155.9cid=2,555cm3)

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. I didn't do a lot today, the wife demanded attention, anyway what I managed today was to find that my exhaust has a leak after the cat. At the joint. I installed the stereo that came with her correctly, it works even if its a cassette player. And screwd down the boot for the shifters. I had some big screws laying around so free. Also bought her a gas cap. It was missing.

Anyway, I had figured (like an idiot), that after I had changed those spark plugs (first pictures) the engine would stop shaking...😒 if i bring up the idle it smooths out a little but emissions here in nevada requieres 800 or under to pass. 😡 i checked vacuum hoses and all look ok, feel ok. I will do rotor, cap and wires as soon as i got more money, but for now im thinking about taking EGR valve off and cleaning it. Anything else I can do for free??

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    [QUOTE=ragragtimetime;40311]clean the sub-egr:
    Do I need to open up the sub EGR or do I just spray carb cleaner inside and hope for the best?? EGR valve was dirty as hell. Carbon build up. Clean now. Runs better. Not "shake free" but getting there

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    the sub egr control valve should move freely...yes best to remove it & clean with carb cleaner inside...research this site for a pic of a removed sub egr...what i'm getting at is: there are a few tiny pieces, ie- clip, pin, spring, ball....its easy to remove & clean....just don't drop them.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    cool thanks Ragrag. I will do my best tomorrow during the day, as of today, I went and bought oil, oil filter, air filter, also bought the fuel filter but the one on the side of the tank doesn't look like the one I got at Auto Zone. Anyway, I will take some photos tomorrow when I can see better.