Array
    Status
    Reno
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Need some help

Hi all, new to forums as I purchased a 1987 Dodge Ram 50 4x4 from craigslist. Came with two sets of wheels, interior just needs TLC, neighbor is going to help restoring the upholstery and now I'm just trying to make sure that its operational. Initial thing I had to do is get that rear rusted area removed and have it repainted. The main issue I now have is that there's a leak by the front left control arm area and me being noob, I need some expert advice. Its being said that there's a leak and photo shows where the gunks coming from; however right side is fine, just the left gunking up the control arm. Please advise as I want to fix my truck soon and I dont want to pay some ridiculous price.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    welcome! sweet ride!...4wd! i am under the impression you are referring to the power steering box leak. verify the correct fluid is inside...doesn't appear to be leaking terribly from the pics...have you had to add power steering fluid?...may be able to simply tighten the "valve housing nut". rockauto sells a rebuild kit....there is a rockauto discount thread http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...e-Thread/page2

Your discount code is:

expires on May 10, 2015

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Pressure wash it, and I agree with the leek location. It only took 20 years to look like that.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Reno
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Friend of the family looked at the truck. He sprayed some degreaser, then a quick wash here and there. Looks almost new. He did mention to add power steering fluid with stop leak. He made the engine bay look almost brand new. Now I just want to make sure that I get the joints replaced and shocks installed not sure if shocks will take long.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Red 4x4s are so badass!

+1 on the power steering rebuild kit, draining the old fluid and adjusting the nut to where it feels right for you. It's kind of a bitch pulling the gear out and replacing the seals but it's doable with a buddy and an afternoon. Those seals are probably dry and rotted out.

I'm not a 4x4 guy, but 2 suggestions for any 2WD truck probably still apply. While you're at it, it's usually worth it to do a couple of quick maintenance items. Replace the lower control arm bushings. LCA bushings are often original on these trucks and are usually disintegrated by now and your truck will never align quite ride without fresh bushings. Also try the "professional grade" idler arm repair kit on RockAuto, too, if they make it for 4x4s. It's around $12 and it will help clean up a lot of play in the steering. Two quick things you can do to restore crispness to the front end. If you have the time, the front control arm stabilizer bushings should get an inspection/regrease/replacement as needed. Get an alignment when you're done and you'll get longer tire wear, reduced road noise and you might even notice a slight bump in MPG.

These are "cult" trucks for a reason. They're super resilient after even extreme neglect and abuse and it looks like yours was well taken care of so you're ahead of the game.

Welcome to the board.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Timing belt, timing belt, timing belt, we can't stress that enough. Every "new to me guy" gets a broken belt within the first year, just because it is 30 years old. Unless you don't have a belt. Then it will run tell it rattles.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Reno
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Two smog checks all failed. First one I had oil change filters changed spark plugs changed, no luck. Second I had to drive around to flush out the bad fluids again and refill and failed by .02. Someone told me to put marvel mystery oil in gas and oil have it run for a while and do the rest to pass

Array
    Status
    Reno
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    I got 12 days left and I'm desperate. Might switch out the catalytic converter. Was told it idles too low now lol. Don't want it to sound like its at 4K rpm constantly either.

I'll post engine bay after we fix the bench seat and interior.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Don't throw parts at it.

What are the numbers for the failed smogs?

Array
    Status
    Reno
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by noahwins View Post
    Don't throw parts at it.

What are the numbers for the failed smogs?
    test 1.JPG and another test 2.JPG

Added the Marvel Mystery Oil and had it run for a bit to get it flushing in there. Was going to attempt to test again; however, I figure to try it out tomorrow.