Array
    Status
    Rock Hill, SC
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Maintence Light

I have a maintence light ON in my 89 mighty max 2.6L 5 speed. The truck has 124,000 miles on it. I dont know what the previous owner hasn't done or has done so I am in the dark as well. How can I check what it needs? or what do I need to do to it? I have changed the oil and filter, fuel filter, and flushed the coolant system and put new coolant in. The truck drives good and running smooth in idle.

Array
    Status
    Payette, ID
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Just to let you know, the maintanence light is mileage dependent, it doesn't mean that there is or isn't anything wrong with your truck.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Try disconnecting the battery for about 30 seconds to reset OBD. Should turn off the light, if it comes back on immediately, time to start digging around. If it comes back on in a few days/weeks you may still have an issue, but not likely anything urgent.

I'd start with things like spark plugs and checking your belts (timing *cough*).

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    He has a 2.6L carbed, doesnt really have a computer like a normal obd vehicle. The light comes on in certain mileage intervals to tell you to do tune-up, oils changes, timing belts, etc.. The switch to reset it is to the the right of the steering column on the dash under the plastic little cover on the dash gauge panel

Array
    Status
    Bolivar, TN
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Yep, mine's the same way, with the switch. Nothing to get worried about. Like the others said, it's more of a reminder for you to check/change the belts, plugs, plug wires, timing belt, etc., etc.

I remember the first time mine came on. I, also, thought something was wrong with the engine, until my dad explained it to me. I think the maintenance light has come on three times in the 190,000 miles I've put on the truck. Each time, it was just a maintenance reminder. However, if the light comes back on after you flip the switch, or doesn't go out at all, then you might have something to worry about.

Array
    Status
    NE
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    The service manual for my 91 says the maintenance required warning light comes on at 50k, 80k, 100k, and 120k for systems inspection, but after the 120k inspection you are to remove the warning light bulb. Why? I do not know. But like others have said it just comes on to remind you to check over everything.
    Last edited by reddevillhs17; 08-23-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    That is for timing belt replacement. Tells you when to change it. Lol.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Didn't realize it was a non-OBD. Just kinda assumed, I guess. Only thing my check engine light on mine ever came on for was a dead EGR, beyond that, I never really could figure out what the Hell it was even hooked to. Let alone what was going to trip it.