Hybrid View

Array
    Status
    CA
    Vehicle

1980 Plymouth Arrow Truck

New Arrow owner in southern California

Hello,
    Just picked up a 1980 Plymouth Arrow Sport and found this place while I was googling around. It's in decent shape but def needs a little tlc. Got it from a lady who's husband passed away, he was a mechanic and she claims the engine (2.6) was rebuilt recently. Can't verify the bottom end but the valve train def looks new, and the oil pan has a fresh coat of paint. So the history is basically unknown to me, but everything seems to be there.

So far....

Don't know how long it sat, but the gas seemed ok and there was oil in it, so I slung a battery in there and fired it up. Coughed to life to pretty quick and ran, well walked anyway, she was pretty rough. As it warmed up it started to smoke, then smoke more. Pulled the plugs, which looked nasty and did a compression test, 155-155-90-100. Uh-oh. Hoping for the best I shot some seafoam in the holes, installed fresh plugs did an oil change and hit the road. I have never seen any vehicle smoke that bad, James bond would be jealous. It started getting better and after about 15 min of drive time it cleared right up Seems that the rings were stuck from sitting and just needed to reminded of what they were supposed to do. New comp test showed 155-155-145-155, couldn't be happier. Finished going over all the tune-up stuff and it's running about 95% perfect now, no smoke, steady idle, starts at a touch of the key. I still have a couple leaky freeze plugs to take care of, and the front end could use some work. I have some other projects I'm looking into and will post any questions in the other forums.

Anyway nice to meet to you all!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    When you change the oil, add 1 quart of rislone in place of 1 quart of oil - its a super detergent that will clean up any crud in the motor without causing problems like motor flush will. It will also quiet up the valve train and improve power. Get yourself a set of urethane front lower control arm and strut rod bushings to tighten up the front end - they are no more than the stock rubber but will outlast the truck and keep it perfect - I have had a set on my 1980 D-50 sport for 19 years and running. I have owned mine since new, so if you have any questions, ask away.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    CA
    Vehicle

Good tip on the poly bushings. I'm going to replace all the ball joints, cross shafts and tie rods, I'll hit those at the same time.

I've used rislone before, good stuff, I may end up using it in this one but I want to drive it a bit first and see if there is any oil consumption or other issues. If I put the rislone in and had a problem I'd be tempted to blame it on the additive! Nice looking truck BTW!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Yes a labor of love and insanity. There is a sticker on the core support that says NOTICE - insanity has replaced reason in the design and construction of this vehicle. The person who gave me the sticker? The friend who came up with and sprayed the paint on my truck.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Morgantown, KY
    Vehicle

Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    Welcome fellow Arrowian! I've got an '80 Arrow as well, but mine had a bad motor so I dropped a 360 V8 in it. It runs well now!

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Welcome to the forum. Got any pics? Also visit Rockauto.com for suspension and steering parts. They have alot of closeout deals! Just have to try diffrent brands of things you want till you get as many parts as possible from 1 location as they try to get you to pay shipping from multiple locations. So I keep removing stuff from cart and selecting other brands till I get them from as few locations as possible!