Thread: Camshaft repair sleeve... anyone tried that?

Array
    Status
    Atlanta,GA
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Camshaft repair sleeve... anyone tried that?

My motor is leaking oil since the first day i bought it.... I think it is from the camshaft seal...i have replaced the seal twice but still it is leaking/. then i found there is a scratch on the sealing surface of the camshaft.. A new camshaft will run me about 150 bucks.... I've been to local junky yards.... there is only one mighty max....it has 390k miles on it...i took the camshaft out...it is already useless.... Now i am looking at the camshaft repair sleeve... looks like you press in a sleeve to replace the worn sealing surface...... That looks like a good solution.......anyone has tried it yet?

Array
    Status
    EVERETT,WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I haven't used the repair sleeve on a camshaft, but I have used them on small block chevy crankshafts. The sleeve works good, so I imagine the camshaft sleeve would work good too.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Try car-part.com. This is a database of wrecking yards and they should have something for you. To have a cam repaired is also a thought. I can almost guarantee to have one repaired and have it grinded for some extra HP shouldn't cost more then $125. Schneider Racing cams can repair them too.
    As for the damage, can you supply an image of the damage on the cam? It seems that it would have to have quite a deep scratch to leak oil.
    Sleeves are a waste of time if the cam isn't fixed. Pay to fix the cam and forget the sleeve stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuta View Post
    My motor is leaking oil since the first day i bought it.... I think it is from the camshaft seal...i have replaced the seal twice but still it is leaking/. then i found there is a scratch on the sealing surface of the camshaft.. A new camshaft will run me about 150 bucks.... I've been to local junky yards.... there is only one mighty max....it has 390k miles on it...i took the camshaft out...it is already useless.... Now i am looking at the camshaft repair sleeve... looks like you press in a sleeve to replace the worn sealing surface...... That looks like a good solution.......anyone has tried it yet?

Array
    Status
    Atlanta,GA
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    Try car-part.com. This is a database of wrecking yards and they should have something for you. To have a cam repaired is also a thought. I can almost guarantee to have one repaired and have it grinded for some extra HP shouldn't cost more then $125. Schneider Racing cams can repair them too.
    As for the damage, can you supply an image of the damage on the cam? It seems that it would have to have quite a deep scratch to leak oil.
    Sleeves are a waste of time if the cam isn't fixed. Pay to fix the cam and forget the sleeve stuff.
    Here is the pic I just took this afternoon.,,, Looks like scratch is in the front of sealing surface....maybe not a big issue?...Maybe it is the groove that the seal cut into causing leak? maybe it is just a bad seal or bad installation? ..I am calling NAPA machine shop tomorrow to see how much they charge to grind this surface... if they can grind it, does it mean I will have to use a different seal with smaller id? Or maybe a little bit change in diameter wont matter cuz seal is rubber and it has spring to apply tension on the lip? What do you think? Or should I just leave it? I am replacing valve stem seals, HLAs, water pump and timing belts, tensioners....I would really hate to spend another weekend working on it......I want to be done with it.....
    Attached Images